contact
May 26, 2020, 02:29:07 PM

Author Topic: Daylight Savings Time strikes again!  (Read 815 times)

Offline rick blackford

• Gone Fishing
    • View Profile
Daylight Savings Time strikes again!
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:52:17 AM »
Before I have been told, no this can't happen. The server time never changes so there cannot be an error.   Well here you go guys...screen shots.

I sent 2 zags to a colony.  They arrived but still show in transit on fleet screen with zero travel time left.  They do not show on the colony and I cannot access them for the purpose I sent them.

I deployed a small fleet and did another screen shot so you could see that the original is indeed in the twilight zone. It should release after the hour is up and the time change is made.  But meanwhile i sit and watch as the 10k in debris I was going after disappears.  :(

SFCO Uni - Rick Blackford, Leader, Valente do Moita
Uni2 - Emperor R, no longer active here
Nova Uni - Nova1, Harrasser, N:S:K, gave this one up!
SDE, Lancelot, Not playing anymore

Offline rick blackford

• Gone Fishing
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings Time strikes again!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:08:31 AM »
Finally, now it shows 10 mins left to go...

Offline FlatTire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »
Yeah there is definitely some wierdness going on  - like some instant attacks, but not registering complete etc.

Offline Commander imad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »
Yeah I had issues with my dios picking up a debris field last night . They were 14 minutes out then they froze in space for over an hour before they resumed . They froze as DST hit last night .
Leader of the Pilgrims of the Blacksun
Keepers of the Light
And the universes last hope vs the darkness

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »
As we've stated before, the game time is based on UTC and is not impacted by Daylight Saving Time. So if the fleet task is supposed to take 10 hours it will take 10 hours. However, the timers are generated based on your local time and therefore display an hour discrepancy until after your computer passes 2AM local time.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline rick blackford

• Gone Fishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »
Basically since we use OUR system generated timers for attacks, FRS, ninjas, harvesting, etc. We should not plan on doing any of these twice a year if the task has any chance at all of being processed during the time change.

I will mark this as future reference.  Thanks Matt.

Offline Monkey D. Luffy

• Monkey D. Luffy - Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:07:06 AM »
I don't want to look like a bad guy saying this,... but I feel that it needs to be said...

I have only had this problem during the DST changeovers 1 time before, and after it was explained to me, I haven't had it since - because when they are going to happen, I stop using local time, and calculate the times of my shipments, attacks, deliveries, ect. by actual UTC time, and not the time shown on the game screen... I know that the time displayed on the screen is wrong during the changeovers, so I don't use it.

There are thousands of websites that you can bring up UTC time on - just open it in another window, and resize it, and place it next to your game window - there are even sites that will convert UTC to local for you...

As Matt said... a task that is supposed to take 10 hours, finishes in 10 hours, regardless of what the local time on your machine says... just calculate the times manually using actual UTC time.
~Monkey D. Luffy - Retired.

Offline rick blackford

• Gone Fishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:21:22 AM »
Totally agree with you Monkey. 

I actually had not taken the time change into account while playing the other day. But that usually happens when you play 24/7 like most of us do :)

It was just another day until my ships froze in space for what seemed like an eternity.  Thanks for your input :)

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 07:00:52 AM »
However, the timers are generated based on your local time and therefore display an hour discrepancy until after your computer passes 2AM local time.

The timers are generated in JavaScript code that BFG wrote.  As I said last year, the DST weirdness is a user interface bug that BFG could just fix, probably by using the JavaScript Date class correctly in the makeTimer and updateTimer functions in application.js, or just by altogether avoiding the use of Date in those functions.