contact
November 17, 2018, 08:19:26 PM

Author Topic: Helios solar satallite  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Questor

• View Profile
Re: Helios solar satallite
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 12:10:14 AM »
It's ONLY the maximum temperature of your planet that is used in the calculation for energy output. Not sure on teh temperature ranges in the higher planets (I'm currently occupying planet 8 or lower) but if you have a hot,hot planet, you'll get more out of your solar satellites.

My hottest is 88 producing 42 per hour.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Angus Mengsk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »
Got two colonies on 15:
-91 to -51 sat produces 7/hr
-84 to -44 sat produces 9/hr
Got a question about the game? Check out the wiki, it helps!

Offline Matt

• Blue Frog Gaming
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bluefroggaming.com
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 02:55:57 PM »
Quote from: "Angus Mengsk"
Personally, I didn't use any for several reasons, it seemed to my like they were more expensive than a level 15 solar array, and prone to attacks from other players.

Wait until you get to Solar Array 20. They'll start looking a lot more appealing then.
No fleetsave = no fleet.

Offline Angus Mengsk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »
Until I can afford that, I guess I'll have enough defenses to make them unappealing to raiders.
But then again, 7 energy per hour isn't top notch. :lol:
Got a question about the game? Check out the wiki, it helps!

Offline Ezri

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »
Quote from: "Matt"

Wait until you get to Solar Array 20. They'll start looking a lot more appealing then.

As Im just finding out!  :lol:
Diplomacy and Communications officer, UF6 Extreme.
Now recruiting players with a mature attitude and a well developed sense of fun.

More madness then method, but it works for us.

Offline Viroath

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 05:28:05 PM »
Satellites should be avoided, early on.  You need to realize that each of those sats is resources that can be plundered, but not moved or saved.  As such, it requires them to be factored into the values of overnight production AT COST for when building defenses  (Which is generally between two to three times your overnight production, not counting in ABMs).

So early on they are a bad idea, as spending that amount of resources to make them unappealing stunts your growth, as well as does nothing to deter someone with a tech leaped fleet compared to yours  (Missiles and lasers when being hit with Pos, only pulse and particle when getting hit by Ares/Hades).  Moreso considering that the Solar Array is a very cheap source of power for many, many levels.

Nuclear is good and all, for patch work power.  Building a few levels and turning it on to power the 30-50 power you are short is a decent return on your investment while you save up for the next level of solar.

But there is a point that even the 15 slot planets have Helios beating out the Solar Array.  Quite late in the game, when you can afford the big defenses and build up a proper protective shell to keep your planet safe from light raiding, those sats at 3 times cost will be cheaper point for point than a single level of solar.  At this point, Nuclear should be built up as a backup to cover the sats when and if they blow up, as well as Solar Array build up should continue, just at a much slower pace.

The key to being successful is being able to adapt and know when things change, when to shift focus and when to fall back to old methods.

So early on, planet temp really doesn't mean anything.  Later though is when it matters, about the same time that Helios and Hydrogen differences actually matter.  1 slot planets need less sats per level, but need more levels of Hydrogen, 15 need more sats per level, but as many as two or more less levels or hydrogen to match the output of a Hot planet.

Offline BentLightyear

• View Profile
    • An Orderly Account
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 02:44:32 AM »
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned fodder.  A Helios is a ship.  It counts in the equations for counterintelligence and it bumps your ship points the same as a Zeus, right?

Of course, you should build solar arrays, especially while they are cheap in the lower levels; but as Matt said, wait until you get to Level-20 on those puppies (I just bought one and I'm in sticker-shock).  You can buy a ton of satellites for that cost.

Of course everything except another Helios has rapid-fire on one and that limits their fodder value, but just like missile turrets, if you have hundreds of them, they begin to be a factor.

Sure they can be shot down, that's what fodder's for, right?  So, you shouldn't depend on them as a sole power source.  But as someone else said, keep a Dionysus handy and you can grab a good chunk of them back.  As long as you have enough solar arrays and/or nuclear plants to keep your base-level going, the Helios can provide extra power while you have them, decoy/fodder-defense when you are attacked, and debris after that.  And ships are one thing that stays the same price no matter how many you buy, unlike research and building levels.

birthmark-ant