contact
March 29, 2020, 12:54:10 AM

Author Topic: moon destruction?  (Read 3410 times)

Offline wesnalk

• View Profile
moon destruction?
« on: May 13, 2013, 02:42:16 PM »
is it even worth trying to kill moons with zeus? seems pretty risky to me, anyone played nova and can shed some light on the matter?

Offline CB

• View Profile
Re: moon destruction?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
I did it on Nova to a person who parked a launch point in my SS. I told him that I was going to be hitting him a lot, and if I gave him a moon, I would take it away too... so, I did.

I don't recommend it for a couple reasons. 1, there is a fairly good chance your fleet that you attack with won't be coming home (mine did). 2, it is an A-hole maneuver. I would never launch on a built up moon. that would be rude beyond reality. we are all here to have fun, fleets are easy to rebuild... moon... quite a pain.
aka.. Commander Barrio

Vastet

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
I don't like the mechanic myself and would never use it casually even if the risk was low. Even a level 3 base costs a day or more to build. Or actual money, which is about equally nasty in my view.
I don't think I've ever disliked someone so much I'd try to blow their moon up.
Maybe I would blow up an inactive players moon just for the experience, but never an active players moon. Too much of a dick move.

Offline DolphinDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:12:29 PM »
Someone tried to kill my moon at tourney1 and lost his entire fleet doing so. Moon successfully defeated. The point is that Zeus need that long that it is possible to arrange GD even from other galaxies.

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:26:33 AM »
I expect that from BFG's standpoint allowing moon destruction makes a lot of sense.  Moon destruction can be accomplished overnight when no one is watching, which means that players need to either behave themselves reasonably well to other players, or pay BFG for neutrality markers.

Offline Gershwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:06:34 AM »
Yeah, seems to me that someone would only do it if they REALLY didn't like the person. That being said, overnight seems safest because you may not have to deal with the other person's fleet. I was just wondering about this the other day though. Has anyone actually been successful?
--Gershwyn

Offline CB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 06:20:35 AM »
When I created the moon on Nova, I immediately sent the fellow a message saying, "As I mentioned when you popped the planet here, if I give you moon, I will be taking it away... launching now." Then, I sent a huge fleet that landed an attack on the moon a few seconds before my Zeus fleet.

60 Zeus = no moon... 190% (or some bs like that) chance of moon destruction. Something like 30% chance fleet goes BOOM! :D

Keep in mind, I may have destroyed the moon, but I told him well in advance that if I gave it, I was taking it back... and I even gave him the courtesy of an email immediately so he wouldn't waste resources or real $ to try to build it up.

CB
aka.. Commander Barrio

Vastet

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 11:42:47 AM »
I think your case is a little different. You laid everything out pretty simply far in advance and then blew it up as soon as it was created. Still a bit painful.. but no time, resources, or money invested makes it far less cruel. And the target continued to operate in the system despite your clear intentions, so he basically accepted the scenario as you laid it out.

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 03:42:54 PM »
I think from a player perspective, the main advantage of moon destructibility is that it resolves the debate over what size moon shot is best.  The expected (average) cost of a moon in other universes is the same whether you use 1% or 20% shots (or anything in between) so the difference is mostly luck.  (Back in the early days of SFCO, when moons were expensive... but I won't go there.)

Now that there is a clear advantage to doing 20% shots, nobody has to think about that anymore.  (It also helps that moons are cheaper not only in relative terms, but even in absolute terms.  Expected cost of a moon is now 15 million in Conquest, down from 35 million in other universes.)

Offline Gershwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 06:42:32 AM »
And it gives you a way to get someone back if you really REALLY dislike them... And have billions of spare resources. I think with the faster speeds in conquest (and the NPCs/territory debris fields) it might be a more common thing for people to try. Two hours for a Zeus at Warp 8 isn't terrible when you're attacking an undefended moon (or maybe I'm wrong). Albeit, anyone would think twice about a gated moon but I imagine ideally you'd attack when you think someone is offline.
--Gershwyn

Offline Boris Alden

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
The thing is it's a tactical decision.  It requires reconnaissance, patience and some balls.

I tried in Nova to test the theory.  It was an unexpected outcome I had no ships after wards they all blew up along with the Zeus the moon was unscathed.

However I think you need a lot of Zeus and in time here who is really going to care flinging 1k Zeus or more at a moon.;
Boris Alden
tlhLngan qLj yo'

http://www.klingonblackfleet.co.uk

Vastet

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
Do you get dsp for surviving a moon buster fleet or successfully blasting a moon? This mechanic didn't exist when I was last playing and I haven't seen mention one way or the other.

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 12:51:24 AM »
No DSP is awarded for the moon destruction itself, although if there is a fleet at the moon, the battle beforehand would result in DSP for destroying that defending fleet.

DSP is awarded to the defender if the "fleet of Zeus" is destroyed in the attempt, which is independent of whether the moon is destroyed.

Vastet

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 01:12:04 AM »
Thanks. :)

Offline Pantin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 02:38:18 AM »
I don't like the mechanic myself and would never use it casually even if the risk was low. Even a level 3 base costs a day or more to build. Or actual money, which is about equally nasty in my view.
I don't think I've ever disliked someone so much I'd try to blow their moon up.

+1 to all of that. That mechanic is not fun in any way.

The thing is it's a tactical decision.  It requires reconnaissance, patience and some balls.

but mostly douchiness

I tried in Nova to test the theory.  It was an unexpected outcome I had no ships after wards they all blew up along with the Zeus the moon was unscathed.
It was unexpected because you didn't understand the mechanic correctly at the moment you tried it... The chance % of having your fleet destroyed is the whole fleet, not the zeus alone.

I expect that from BFG's standpoint allowing moon destruction makes a lot of sense.  Moon destruction can be accomplished overnight when no one is watching, which means that players need to either behave themselves reasonably well to other players, or pay BFG for neutrality markers.

I have to say I disagree with the "behave reasonably well to others" jsut because some of the player base don't need a reason to turn troll. I've had a dude nuke me down just because I probed him like I probe everyone else.For those players, in an uni with a LOT of res moon D can be like nuking, except on steroids. Oh and you lose weeks or months of building up. Enjoy.

The only time I've seen moon D in action was between two players that were getting tired of the uni, disliked each other and went at each other that way. One is long term P and is effectively out of it and the other is pretty much the same. It doesnt realyl bring any level of added enjoyment to the game, at least not that I can see.

I agree with the rest of your analysis about P moding being the only effective method, especially if you have to go on vacation.

birthmark-ant