contact
July 16, 2020, 04:39:02 PM

Author Topic: Territories  (Read 10812 times)

Offline CoolHand

• Dealing CoolHand's Daily!
    • View Profile
Re: Territories
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2013, 11:40:10 PM »
I don't see how you get there, do you care to elaborate?

Well if BFG will allow players to keep a territory while in P that is a cash grab and players will take advantage of that and if you are  a low rank player with a low rank alliance there is no way you can keep it for very long. Unless of course if you spend some coin and activate a P marker
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:47:09 PM by Commander Coolhand »

Offline Zevssn

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2013, 11:49:53 PM »
Yeah, I agree with you(just wanted you to spell it out properly), but if what Matt H said here is supposed to be true they got to change it:
The total number of territories in the game is based on the total number of players in the game. More players, more territories. They are intended to be conflict points.

"They are intended to be conflict points."
Which mean they cant be in p mode, p mode=no conflict.

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2013, 01:39:04 AM »
Saw one in v mode today, which makes even less sense than p-mode.  At least in p-mode you can still build ships and do research, etc, so there's some purpose...

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2013, 01:49:41 AM »
And another thing... so I'm holding a territory, and it comes under attack.  I can't defend in time, so I move my ships off the territory, but they can't reach my home planet in time.  If I abandon the territory, I lose my ships and cargo.  If I don't abandon the territory, I lose my ships and cargo.  Either way the the attacker gets nothing: negative sum.  (Yes, I know, this is the same thing Hepha hunters have been complaining about for years.)

Now, I could attack the territory shortly after he launches his attack and take it back, and maybe I'd get a counterattack lock on him.  But if I'm even a little slow, then he moves his ships, I take over the territory, he loses his ships, I get nothing, and now I'm vulnerable to losing my attack fleet with neither of us having anything to show for it.  (Except the last person to come to his senses gets control of the territory.)  Bah.

Offline Thermopyle

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2013, 03:47:39 AM »
i thought ships get rerouted to planet when you lose a territory. (not abandon, but lose it to a npc or other player). assuming you get them in the air that is

Offline commander Omniblivious

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2013, 03:48:50 AM »
That's a good argument, but I think BFG should get some credit for making only 24h neutrality markers available and raising the price to 50,000 credits.
right, credit them for making people's number one complaint about the games worse while figuring out how to profit better from it? It's their prerogative to do so, but people who pay-to-play will fork out the cash and buy the markers, and have just that much more an advantage, defeating the "point-of-conflict" concept. And people will keep complaining, except with more grievances.

Take a resource vault, an experiment and a space dock, slap on a few 24 hr markers and you can emerge way ahead of everyone else with absolutely no risk and no handicap -no conflict. I might actually join the "pay-to-play is cheating" crowd on this one.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:02:15 AM by commander Omniblivious »

Offline Thermopyle

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2013, 03:51:18 AM »
right, credit them for making people's number one complaint about the games worse while figuring out how to profit better from it? It's their prerogative to do so, but people who pay-to-play will fork out the cash and buy the markers, and have just that much more an advantage, defeating the "point-of-conflict" concept. And people will keep complaining, except with more grievances.

Take a resource vault, an experiment and a space dock, slap on a few 24 hr markers and you can emerge way ahead of everyone else with absolutely no risk and no handicap. I might actually join the "pay-to-play is cheating" crowd on this one.

even the pay to play players will screw themselves on this one. there wont be anyone to kill except for the people hiding in  p mode on the territorys. the people they will be gaining an advantage over wont be able to build respectable fleets. what will you kill after paying your way .

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2013, 05:30:03 AM »
i thought ships get rerouted to planet when you lose a territory. (not abandon, but lose it to a npc or other player). assuming you get them in the air that is

I had thought so, too.  But I lost the one I was sending back to the planet (a slow probe, specifically to test this) when the attack landed.  Maybe if I had deployed them back to the territory itself?  That would be a bit non-intuitive.

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2013, 06:09:37 AM »
credit them for making people's number one complaint about the games worse while figuring out how to profit better from it? It's their prerogative to do so, but people who pay-to-play will fork out the cash and buy the markers, and have just that much more an advantage, defeating the "point-of-conflict" concept. And people will keep complaining, except with more grievances.

Well, I've gone over this before, and my argument has been that the main divide in the game is between players who spend some credits and the players who spend none (beyond the first 10k or 20k).  Lowering prices widens that gulf, as the players who spend credits get more and more for their money/work.  I could be wrong, but I believe that the vast majority of players are in the "none" category.  And the higher the price of a neutrality marker, the less time those in the middle will spend in (p).  From below, that looks like a good thing.  If it's the equivalent of $5 to spend a night in (p), more people will think twice.

Now, if you think the main divide is between those who have a limited (but nonzero) credit budget and those who have a (nearly) unlimited credit budget, then, yes, raising prices is a problem.  Is that what you call a first-world problem?

Offline Zevssn

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2013, 11:50:13 AM »
I had thought so, too.  But I lost the one I was sending back to the planet (a slow probe, specifically to test this) when the attack landed.  Maybe if I had deployed them back to the territory itself?  That would be a bit non-intuitive.

suggestions for problems/hopefully bugs fixing
If you can deploy the fleet to another location before the attack on your territory lands and a successful attack on your territory only results in removing the ability to recall your fleet back to the territory I would be fine with that, its how it should be, its not a heph its a territory.

P/V mode- Just have the planets get under p/v mode protection, leave the territories open to attacks.

Offline AlanPrit

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »
The UI could use some work in clarifying which territory is where. Just tying it to the planet that possesses it, like a moon, leaves something to be desired.

Offline red

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2013, 10:15:54 PM »
How high does the production link have to be to be abke to use it at the planet it is attached to?

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2013, 10:40:27 PM »
How high does the production link have to be to be abke to use it at the planet it is attached to?

You're misunderstanding something, which is understandable because the in-game help text is at its all-too-typical useless-or-worse level on this issue.  All the Production Link building does is enable other things on the territory to happen, it has no direct effect on the planet.  On some territories (Alien Experiment, Missile Silo) it does nothing.  On some territories (Resource Vault, Labor) it enables building other buildings (e.g., PL7 on Labor, along with a bunch of techs, enables Construction, which speeds up shipbuilding on the planet).  On some territories (Alien Space Dock, Adv Factory) it enables building specific units.

Offline Admiral Lucifer Death

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2013, 04:33:51 PM »
With the Alien Experiment, do the research techs you gain transfer over to all planets, or just the one you do the research on?

Offline commander abаб

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »
All planets and territories.