contact
October 23, 2019, 05:14:25 AM

Author Topic: Final thoughts...  (Read 4089 times)

Grace

Final thoughts...
« on: January 24, 2014, 10:45:41 AM »
Now that I am finished, here are my final thoughts on the new game. It was fun exploring the game mechanics and you can see that BFG has put in alot of effort to make this a new so a big thank you for that and well done. There are some elements which worked very well and there are other elements which did not work well at all.

Territories...
The territories are fantastic, in terms of the actual objects themseleves. I love the extra dimension they bring to the universe and have had fun playing around with them. There are things you can do with them which most players havn't cottoned onto yet that I have shared only with members of my alliance. I am sure others will cotton onto them sooner or later, if they havn't done so already, and no, I am not talking about the landing on others for a fast attack which WGW was concerned about. If a new universe is launched and the functions that come with territories remain, I will join it. If anything changes to these functions, I wont.

If anyone is concerned about a fast attack from a territory they can simple take it themselves or get a buddy to throw a probe at it to prevent this. It isn't really an issue.

The new ships...
Again, a big plus for this, you can see alot of thought and effort has gone into it and how some ships cancel eachother out in terms of rapid fire so that a balance of each would be essential. The problem with this though is attainability, and I can see where the game is aiming to go with this in terms of the Triton. It isn't going to work, though, so people will continue to build athena/curetes and proms.

I for one wont be hunting territories with tritons to snatch a handful of alien ships from another player when I can build human ships alot quicker. Such behaviour is beneath my dignity anyway.
If you want to bring PVP back this isn't the way to go about it, as players will either limit what they build on territories or sit on them with MACs. There are two options for bringing the alien ships into play, with the 2nd providing a reason for wasting time and resources on the Triton.

1. link the alien docks to the construction level of the planets so that they can have the benefits of quicker build times.
2. Have only alien ships on NPCs and not any human ships that you can build yourself. I have lil under 2k tritons now and refuse to build anymore when all as they retrieve are a handful of apollo, atlas and artemis. I lost around 5 tritons one time to retrieve human fodder.

P mode
I love the way this functions now so thankyou and well done. Rightly so that one shouldn't be able to sit in P building ships with a territory locked up. Keep this the way it is and I will join the next uni. If it changes, I wont.

NPCs
If you want to bring back PVP then the only way to do it is by getting rid of NPCs altogether. I never did like these, though always found them a time-consuming necessary evil to keep up development. Some players just don't have the time to sit hunting NPCs day and night so competing is a waste of time for them. I myself have put aside, at times, things I need to do in real life so I could hit a few to stock up the shipyards. The game needs to be friendly toward the working family man like it was back in the good old days of original and ex1.

If you are going to keep NPCs, then I agree with SwanVesta. Keep them as they are when the uni is launched and make sure they are worth the time hitting. You cant change the goal posts well into a uni when players have set-up their fleets in balance with that uni. Following the changes, I have seen some with as little as 5mil in res and a handful of fodder worth 200k debris requiring over 10k ships to beat it. It is pointless some of them spawning if no-one is going to hit them. Who in their right mind is going to waste 30mins of their game time taking losses on a NPC for that return?

Galaxy sizes...
You don't need 5 galaxies each with 499 systems. 499 is far too many. Having 10 galaxies each with 249 systems would encourage players to spread out more and would make the universe more dynamic. 249 systems with 10 galaxies would enhance PVP if that is what you are aiming for.

construction/foundary...
This is good the way it functions with the effect coming from a territory that you cant sit on in P-mode. If someone is not actively playing, they shouldn't be developing at the same rate as someone who IS whether they paid for their protection or not.
One change I would make to this, though, is adding the facility to regulate the construction building in the same way mines and solar array can be regulated, at increments of 10%. I would like to see this given some thought and don't see why it would cause a problem. I have read the arguments and reasoning against adding this but it doesn't convince the way I am proposing it. It wouldn''t pause ship builds, it would simply give a player the capacity to regulate ship-builds to the point of their original build time. Players like to be in control of their game and this would make,certainly, my game experience and capacity to manage things much better. Please, give this addition some thought and don;t be stubborn about it.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading.

I may add to these reflections later if I think of anything else or I'm happy to answer any questions if someone asks for my opinion on anything specific which I maybe have or haven't covered

Grace

edit 1: get rid of the crew droid rank. I see alot of players artificially inflating their rank with lots of crew droids. The only ranks that should matter and should be calculated are rsp, fleet and dsp... with maybe defences also.

edit 2: implement a more efficient way of spending eradeon than having to build higher shipyards. If nothing, then at least make the cost of an eradeon upgrade higher so I can get rid of it - hate seeing it all built up and having nothing to do with it. Maybe even allow it to be traded in for tokens or credits or something.

(not sure why this one slipped my mind with it being a pain in the arse so many times...)
edit 3:
Edit 3: link territory activity to planet activity so that when someone is showing activity on a territory, the planet it is attached to is also lit up.
Seriously... having to have 18 tabs open to check someone's activity when already several are open for other pages in the game is somewhat ridiculous and, at times, encourages people to launch anyway and not recall when they get a response. I know I have been tempted to do this at times.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:15:59 PM by Grace »

Offline Ymerodraeth

• View Profile
Re: Final thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:00:59 AM »
I was never sure of these 'added functions' on territories would be classed as bugs or not, but completely agree they are a great addition wether intended or not lol

Offline Swanvesta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:41:48 PM »
+1 grace, well thought out and i whole heartedly agree with everything you've said.. including the crew droids even though im highly ranked there.. i jumped on the bandwagon this uni so not to fall behind purely because of others doing it :D
Miss Kiki: Believe me I have been well warned about you
Miss Kiki: I think it was stated that Swan is the biggest nut job in the SFC game community

Biggest nut job on SFC - I claim it!

kru

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 01:48:31 PM »
new game just wasn't for me.

I think bfg made a couple of major errors to be fair, and i am sure in time they will address them to make the game much better.

Grace

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
new game just wasn't for me.

I think bfg made a couple of major errors to be fair, and i am sure in time they will address them to make the game much better.

Well, it was a brand new uni with brand new features so to say they made errors is a bit unfair. Personally, I think they did a fantastic job and now the learning experience can be applied to Hired Guns Extreme.

Cant wait for that with 4 minute in-system attacks:)

Grace

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »
+1 grace, well thought out and i whole heartedly agree with everything you've said.. including the crew droids even though im highly ranked there.. i jumped on the bandwagon this uni so not to fall behind purely because of others doing it :D

lol I have 1 crew droid i built at the start to unlock I think the crystal or the hydro mission. Seen some players with thousands of them:) I suspect the lab droid is taking a bit of stick also. I always lag behind in research because I don't believe in fast tracking, though I shouldn't have as poor a rank in that area as I have given that my lab has never had any breaks.

Hands up who has the most lab and crew droids? :)

Grace

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
I was never sure of these 'added functions' on territories would be classed as bugs or not, but completely agree they are a great addition wether intended or not lol

Based on Matt's response to WGW, I suspect they were either intentional or acceptable.

Offline Swanvesta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »
Hands up who has the most lab and crew droids? :)

i dont have the most, but i do certainly have alot

Crew Droid x6074
Basic Android x1
Lab Droid x106
Build Droid x107
Mine Droid x130
Miss Kiki: I think it was stated that Swan is the biggest nut job in the SFC game community

Offline Trump

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 04:03:52 AM »
For the most part I agree with what you are saying only have a few points to add

1. link the alien docks to the construction level of the planets so that they can have the benefits of quicker build times.

Planets don't have contruction, construction are build on a terri and you can't own 2 terries on a planet, so that won't be possible, unless the construction is going to be build on the planet instead of the terrie, but that would conflict with your statement
This is good the way it functions with the effect coming from a territory that you cant sit on in P-mode. If someone is not actively playing, they shouldn't be developing at the same rate as someone who IS whether they paid for their protection or not.
With which I totaly agree btw.

edit 2: implement a more efficient way of spending eradeon than having to build higher shipyards. If nothing, then at least make the cost of an eradeon upgrade higher so I can get rid of it - hate seeing it all built up and having nothing to do with it. Maybe even allow it to be traded in for tokens or credits or something.

Totaly for speeding the upgrade up, totaly against your remark of making it more expensive, esp now the NPC's are made tougher lower ranked players wont be swimming in milions of the green stuff like the higher ranked players do, I rather see higher ranked players with too much E then lower ranked players with a huge shortage of it.

The facility to regulate the construction building, I dont think I would ever use that, my SY have to keep working their asses off so it would only stuck at 100%, but if it will make others happy I am not against it.

Offline renykeny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 06:16:44 AM »
totally agree with all you say grace...terrs are bloody amazing and open unlimited possibility's...and yup...99 percent have not discovered all a terr can do for you
suck it up monkey boy!

Grace

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 10:59:05 AM »
Achmed, I don't care how it is achieved. I am just saying that there needs to be a way to obtain alien ships more efficiently or else there was no point in introducing them... which is a real shame because some of them are cool and would fit in brilliantly with the game if they could be built on a higher scale than current. I think they were looking at the triton for this but as I pointed out, this route wont work the way the NPCs are overloaded with human fodder.

Offline Trump

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »
Achmed, I don't care how it is achieved. I am just saying that there needs to be a way to obtain alien ships more efficiently or else there was no point in introducing them... which is a real shame because some of them are cool and would fit in brilliantly with the game if they could be built on a higher scale than current. I think they were looking at the triton for this but as I pointed out, this route wont work the way the NPCs are overloaded with human fodder.

We totally agree on that, I was thinking about the option to be able to build Construction on de space docks myself, with that difference that Construction on spacedock wont benefit the connected planet and requires SY 10, Capitol 10 and Production link 7.
This way we could speed up ship building on the space dock without compromising the gameplay as it is.

Concerning the Tritons, they are close to useless as they are now, maybe they should allow E upgrades also upgrade the chance of capturing and recycling ships, so that when you have it at E10 you have a 10% chance it will capture or recycle a ship instead of 1%.

Grace

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 02:31:42 PM »
The simplistic way to do it has already been suggested several times by other players. Just link the docks to the labor via the production link.

Offline Swanvesta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 02:47:08 PM »
yep high production link and arcnet requirements would do both slow the start of the universe down like they wanted, and give us the huge battles that we want

Offline Trump

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »
The simplistic way to do it has already been suggested several times by other players. Just link the docks to the labor via the production link.

Again, Labor cannot be build on a planet, only planets can benefit from Terri builds (research is a totaly different game mechanic).
Current situation :  Terri --> Planet
Your suggestion  :  Terri --> Planet
                                 --> Other Terri

What you call simplistic is probably the most difficult way for the programmer to do, it would require an adjustment to the game mechanic which will most likely lead to more bugs.
Sometimes what seems simplistic is not simplistic at all.
Adding a construction to a Terri type might seem difficult, but its programming wise a lot simpeler then creating multiple connections under terms for a planet or Terri.

birthmark-ant