contact
April 02, 2020, 03:46:51 PM

Author Topic: tiered NPCs  (Read 932 times)

Grace

Re: tiered NPCs
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 09:58:45 PM »
Monkey
Some excellent points there on the nature of the game which merit some discussion in a thread of its own. I would love to talk about why players leave and ways to retain them.

I won't talk about your thoughts on credits because that was a point dragged in by someone else from another thread.

Regarding the nPC element... You are, of course, 100% correct. 'Time'... The way they are implemented, they effectively reduce competition to the exclusive few who have the time to farm them for 12hrs per day.

This in itself is more than enough to deter the casual gamer who can maybe enjoy the game for a couple of hours at a time and maybe slip in a bit more at weekends or whatever...

Which brings me back to a point I made earlier... If the game is about farming npcs in a dead uni, it may as we'll be put on a disc and boxed up to play on a gaming console.

kru

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »
grace, please just stop.  you are proving every time how you lack understanding.

you comment from a personal point of view and lay claim that it is from the 'wider' perspective

seriously, how the fun do you know what the casual gamer does and does not like?  I lead an alliance of mostly casual gamers; they appreciate the fact they would love to be #1 in the persepctive unis, but accpet with humility that they wont.  Instead they battle to achieve 'personal' goals, besting themselves.

Casual gamers that i speak to enjoy the interaction, and in fact who can farm what npcs for however long doesn't bother them!

oh, and ps, whilst my alliance my made of around 70& casual gamers, we are still rank 4 in our uni..

OH,m and before you go off on some PMS tangent, npcs and the way the affect a game (as your describing it) is not limited to just hired guns........let me also remind you, in one thread you claimed hired guns was the 'best' uni BFG ever made, yet you quit after how long?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:06:01 PM by kru »

Grace

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 10:44:34 PM »
Kru

You provided some excellent feedback in the other thread and left your trolling at the door so a big thank you to you for that. In here, now, however... Respectfully, if you don't mind, I'm responding to Monkey.

Thanks in advance

Grace

Offline GraemeCracker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 06:55:54 PM »
Speaking in terms of SCFO, the only uni I know, I can say that the smaller NPC's are easily available for the smaller players if they want them.  For me to use up any of my slots for an Enemy Fleet would be pointless.  Additionally I have come across many Large Enemy Fleets that have been not been hit (and all LEF's are profitable) and are about to disappear.  Considering an LEF lasts at least 24 hours, plenty of players had opportunities to find it and hit it and for whatever reason didn't.  To cap access to these to higher player would be pointless.  There are many times when I have most of my ships on missions, for example, when I'll hit a reasonable big LEF just to keep the points coming.  Heck I even keep enough of fleet aroudn at times while FRS'd to be able to pick off an LEF or two.  Or if I'm just bored and don't have much time on my hand, I send out some posis. 

Lower ranked players (at least in SFCO) have plenty of opportunity to work they way up in ranks.  They may never achieve #1, but nor could I without playing 20+ hours a day.  I play reasonably often, and I have a hard time just catching the guy in front of me!

Offline Deeds

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 11:50:43 PM »
All the games are relatively easy to advance in if you have a reasonable level of skill to apply. i am no longer in SFCO, but i did play for a period of time again(after quitting about a year ago), before i dropped the uni to focus on hired guns.

in ~3.5 months playing SFCO again, i worked my way up past many players who have been playing for several years in the uni.
I got all the way up to about 200 overall rank in that time, with a fleet rank in the 70's, and all of my other ranks(except for research) were in the top 250 as well.

The same concept applies to all uni's as the general game mechanics are the same. Faster uni's, where people are further ahead, also allow the new player to benefit from that same speed in catching up.

SO for those who say "They will never be able to get to the top 100 because they started late", i bite my thumb at you.  Not saying they WILL get there, but everyone, from those who started on the first day to those who started months or even years later, has the chance to get there if they are willing to work for it, bring a decent level of skill to the table, and give it time. It cant be expected to be done in the first month.

Not sure if this is the thread for this, but i believe it does relate, especially to the most recent post before it.
theres my opinion,
Deeds out

MunchMunchMunchMunchMunch

Offline lazoputz

• we shall never surrender. Winston Churchill
    • Skype - lazoputz1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 04:41:37 AM »
Exactly right, Deeds.

Offline arbitraryfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 01:35:11 PM »
The best way to work this out is to have some unis with them and some unis without. That way players can join either uni if they prefer to hit one or the other.
Competing in conquest is like competing in the special Olympics. Even if you win...

birthmark-ant