contact
December 15, 2019, 11:40:32 AM

Author Topic: Hired guns already a dead uni  (Read 2816 times)

Offline new starr federation

• View Profile
Re: Hired guns already a dead uni
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 12:19:56 AM »
@Loonie Lonnie your name about says it all..

first off SFCO.. yes im one that also played and yes i stayed for quite awhile but only because extreme1 hadnt came out yet..once ex1 was released i quickly became addicted to the faster pace..attacks and building up.. slow to me is BORING  not saying some ppl dont like SLOW but lets face it..Star Fleet Commander games just dont have the player base that some games do because even at its fastest it is a very long game to play..we are talking Months to get a good account going..

why not the huge player base everyone wonders? Id bet its because it only appeals to a select few types of individuals..games like candy crush are almost always going to be a sensation because they are easy cheesy and very disposable..not much for brains or thinking jus quick compulsive play with a fast gratification..thats what the masses like these days and thats def not SFC games..

As far as BFG limiting the use of credits..well thats retarded for them to do..they are a business plain and simple..they have bills fees employee wages to pay and if u know anything about the gaming industry code writers and programmers are very expensive to hire or contract.. and if it wasnt for a select few that almost always dump hundreds if not thousands on the start up of new uni launches they wouldnt be able to keep the games online..so thats never going to happen..we all know by playing the game which of us are the players who pay to get to the top and which of us are jus great players..

id say stick to playing more and less to giving what u think is brilliant advise or solutions to problems that BFG has been working hard on for years..they will not be dumping tons of money into advertising the game esp old dead unis..jus doesnt pay off..

And @Matt..i think you guys might have gotten something right with the Hired Guns..been about my favorite uni thus far..hardest and most complex but i like the challenge :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:21:59 AM by new starr federation »
Watch out here i come..

Offline Dark One

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:52 AM »
It is pointlessly expensive advertising or trying to create any kind of buzz when retention rates are ridiculously low. It has been said a number of times what should be done but for some reason BFG just do not seem to want to address the issues, instead they attempt to keep making the game more complicated.

The business model for bringing cash in has to change. It pisses a lot of people off that so much advantage can be bought by those spending a lot of money. unfortunately BFG seem to be in the death spiral of the fewer players we attract the more money we need to take off a single individual. What they should be aiming for is to attract more players and take a regular re-occurring fee of a great number. So:-

1: Make the game simple again but feel free to take some items from HG, ie harder research, new ships etc.

2: People, especially Newbies leave the game when they lose their fleets, be it rage quit or just I can't be bothered to rebuild. Introduce a mechanism for people to get back lost fleets. IE for ships lost, return X% of them over a number of days, similar to how Astro Empires returns defence. This could even be in a new building type.

3. Intoduce a free and a paid for account type, paid giving UI enhancements. Just intoduce the Eljer scripts would be a start here as they would be maintained along with the game. In game battlecalc and parser (sorryMatt for taking away your sideline). Again these could both be charged on a small (and I mean small recurring fee (Monthly, quarterly, yearly etc depending on universe etc).

4. NPCs with limit for early growth but then limited.

5. Enhance PvP with accent on hunting and alliance activities ie GA/GD with more people gains greate DSP. More people involved greater the ratio.

6. Stop the blatant cheating. No farewell parties. Implement an "I quit" mechanism into the system. Similar to Vacation mode with a time delay to enable people to change their minds but after a certain time they become non recoverable and system assets, ships are automatically sent on random fleetsave or journeyand all planet names set to "quit". Any farewell parties are then illegal.

Essentially retention should be the name of the game the longer you keep someone playing the more likely they will be to get others playing.

Grace

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »
@Loonie Lonnie your name about says it all..

while you do make some good points, is there really any need to make a personal insult?

As far as I understood, Loonie was was suggesting the game go back to basics for the benefit of enticing new players. It does help also, for the sake of being constructive, if you read what is being suggested before you insult.

Grace

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 11:27:26 AM »
I agree with Loonie Lonnie.

While I do prefer extreme speeds, I think it woudl be in the best interests of enticing new players if the game went back to basics with original speeds. After a short while, when teh player base has improved, an extreme version could be launched.

I will come back to the game and invite other players with me only when the game goes back to its basics and BFG also starts showing more respect to players. You have no game without a playerbase so your authoritarian methods are quite naive and counter-productive. 

kru

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 01:58:56 PM »
there is no such thing as a good game any more, only a bad or broken game.

What would be a nice thing, would be to have a revamp SFCO.  'ALMOST' back to basics.

No moons, npcs with an rsp cap (although still attackable to everyone), some of the new ships, but not all the ones that exist in conquest etc.

I'd also like travel speeds to remain as they are in SFCO (that seems to work well) but certianly have faster build & research times.

Maybe also increase the rescource output from a 'high to low' downward -> forward scale.

Offline Loonie Lonnie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »
 One, I wish everyone would stop telling us what BFG can and can't do unless you work for them, those are huge assumptions.  Second the ideal that a handful of people are capable for paying for all these games and that is a good business plan, please rethink your position.  What would be much better would for BFG to have thousands of customers paying a smaller amount each month.  It was brought up that Candy Crush was nothing like this game, well one thing for sure, that game is worth 2 billion dollars as of this week.  I doubt that is because they have a handful of players throwing hundred or even thousands of dollars at it.  It is because they build a player base by getting them hooked on the game with easy levels and then train them to play increasingly harder levels. Plus get this... they just opened a new version of their game..going back to the basics.   Maybe it is not the thinking game this one is, but what it has is that people can join it even now and feel they can enjoy it and grow into the higher levels, they can learn it fast and increase their knowledge level while playing, they can play for a few mins a day or hours a day without losing everything they have because they don't play 12 hours a day.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to turn SFC into a Candy Crush game, but what I am saying is there maybe lessons to learn from them.  Advertised, easy to get to, easy to learn to get started, flexible with your time, plus I would add a chance to be successful without spending a fortune in a game they are just learning. 

I don't know if you are BFG has any data collected on this, but almost everyone I've talked to that is leaving among their reasons, the amount of time you have to spend on this game.  I played SFCO for a long time without have time problems.  Yet I know right now, I will soon have to leave Guns... I don't have the time to remain competitive.  I'm not a big spender in the game, $10 here and there, so I doubt if BFG will miss me much, but if they had thousands of players spending $10 here and there... they wouldn't miss anyone leaving, as long as they could keep the game fair, easy to play and fun for everyone.  If this game ever happens, I will play it, as others will.. I would not suggest all the old guard rush to it.. will be to slow for you.  Game does not have to be fast to be fun, fleets don't have to be massive to have fun.  I would go original speeds, build times and a universe large enough that people can grow a bit before they have to start hunting each other. if you add NPCs the game will already be faster.

This ideal in the long run, maybe just what we need in the game, new blood. Larger new games.  All I can say 180,000 to 1,800.... what's next 180?  You want to talk about what BFG can and can't do... is how long they can keep this game going with  that.  Then we all lose.

I too like Guns, many ideals should be incorporated in future versions.  Right now I have a player who has been in V mode for almost a month now and is hardly losing rank anymore... in the low 700s!  Are we really asking too much to try something different? SFC are my favorite games, like to see them get bigger, even if it means slower.  Then there will be plenty of time for the versions to get bigger and faster.

Grace

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 12:24:50 AM »
I get invites to play candy crush every day from multiple friends so maybe even just looking at why that happens might be an eye opener.

birthmark-ant