contact
April 02, 2020, 04:24:04 PM

Author Topic: @ Matt  (Read 2612 times)

kru

@ Matt
« on: February 18, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »
Yes, this probably sounds VERY stupid to the savvy, but....

When you say

"you may need to refresh the DNS records for your local internet connection to reach the game at the end of the maintenance period."

Has it occurred to you to maybe explain what you mean, or for those with no clue how to do it?

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
Re: @ Matt
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:55:22 PM »
If a player has an issue, I'll gladly help that user through the process. But we don't expect any user to have an issue and providing the instructions where it isn't needed would only confuse users.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
kru

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:58:30 PM »
okay :)

as lon as we an the same page then, i just wouldn't want to be not to log in because i don't know how to do something, and i am sure theres guys & gals less savvy than me

Offline Trump

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:05:44 PM »
Yes, this probably sounds VERY stupid to the savvy, but....

When you say

"you may need to refresh the DNS records for your local internet connection to reach the game at the end of the maintenance period."

Has it occurred to you to maybe explain what you mean, or for those with no clue how to do it?

1. Close all browsers

Windows

2. Open cmd.exe (simply type cmd.exe in your windows searchbar if you can't find it)
3. Terminal screen opens, behind the prompt type
Code: [Select]
ipconfig /flushdns
OS X mountain Lion or Lion

2. open terminal
sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
OS X v10.6

2. open terminal
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache
Linux

2. open terminal
/etc/rc.d/init.d/nscd restart
That refreshes DNS, now open browser and surf to SFC and you'll be back again

kru

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »
i thank you for the time taken to post that achmed. 

Offline GraemeCracker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
In case you are wondering why you have to do this, DNS (Domain Name Service) is what translates a URL (i.e. www.playstarfleet.com) to an IP address (i.e. 192.168.1.12).  At a certain level, computers connect to each other via IP Address, not URL, so they need to know what address a URL is.  They make a request to a DNS server for that information.  To save bandwidth and time, the response to that request is cached in your local computer for period of time determined by the DNS server that served you the request.  Normally it is a reasonably short period of time, say 24 hours, but certain ISP (who shall remain nameless, safe to say their initial begin with AOL), set the TTL (Time To Live) on their DNS responses to one week.  So if you were an AOL user and did not clear your cache, and the destination IP address of a URL changed, you may not be able to connect for up to a week.

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 03:17:02 PM »
Leading up to the server change we set the TTL for all of our domains to 5 minutes. Of course, your home network or your provider could ignore that, but most won't.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline sottie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 06:49:09 PM »
I am very sorry but I am not technically minded and this really sucks!!!!!

I am 51 years old and as kids MAY be able to follow this, WHY DO YOU MAKE THIS DIFFICULT??????????

This is just a game and we should be able to plug in straight away when it comes back on line, not for us to possibly have to re program our computers/lap tops/i-phones etc. just to play...........

Well that's what it sounds like to me anyway!

I am not computer literate, Matt, you will see I often pay money into this game (My wife says too much!) so why can't I get access without any trouble? If it were not for the forum I would never of known, now how many normal players come here?

As you know Matt I NEVER complain but this is the first time.......

Sorry

Dave

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 06:51:48 PM »
Sottie, most users won't have to do anything to get back into the game. That is why I posted no instructions. If you're having an issue, the easiest way to resolve the problem is to unplug your modem and router and plug them back in. If that doesn't solve the problem, follow the steps Achmed provided. But as I said, most users will not have any issue.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline sottie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »
In case you are wondering why you have to do this, DNS (Domain Name Service) is what translates a URL (i.e. www.playstarfleet.com) to an IP address (i.e. 192.168.1.12).  At a certain level, computers connect to each other via IP Address, not URL, so they need to know what address a URL is.  They make a request to a DNS server for that information.  To save bandwidth and time, the response to that request is cached in your local computer for period of time determined by the DNS server that served you the request.  Normally it is a reasonably short period of time, say 24 hours, but certain ISP (who shall remain nameless, safe to say their initial begin with AOL), set the TTL (Time To Live) on their DNS responses to one week.  So if you were an AOL user and did not clear your cache, and the destination IP address of a URL changed, you may not be able to connect for up to a week.

That means absolutely NOTHING to me :(

Offline sottie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »
Sottie, most users won't have to do anything to get back into the game. That is why I posted no instructions. If you're having an issue, the easiest way to resolve the problem is to unplug your modem and router and plug them back in. If that doesn't solve the problem, follow the steps Achmed provided. But as I said, most users will not have any issue.

I hope your right!

Why could not the other players above had said that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sottie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 07:07:04 PM »
nope, not working, not a good advert for bfg........

Offline sottie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
would you buy a ticket for a trip from new youk to london and when you get to the aircraft be told by the captain that you have to change the oil or something?????????????

Offline alcazar84

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 07:10:36 PM »
A suggestion Matt had for me was to reboot my machine.  After doing that, I was able to log back in.  I didn't have to do anything to my modem or router.  Maybe that is all you would need to do to access the game again.  Give that a try and see what happens.

Offline sottie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »
I have and no luck! Even if it worked WHY SHOULD I!!!!!!!!!!!!