contact
December 16, 2018, 06:49:29 AM

Author Topic: Serious bug with OpenParser, function tracker  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Andrea Nard1

• View Profile
Serious bug with OpenParser, function tracker
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:59:28 PM »
I have noticed that the OpenParser is showing some players online 24/7. There must be a bug with it.
I know that OpenParser is free and I would like to thank Matt for the effort and the time he has spent on it.
However it will be nice if he can find the bug and fix it!

[Linked removed]

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:58:21 PM by Matt H »

TimeLord uni3

Re: Serious bug with OpenParser, function tracker
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »
I would think that these folk have found a tactic to limit the usefulness of the parser.

Simple regular probing by a friend can counter the effectiveness of the parser. Running missions can also have the same result as I used to set a repetitive timer so I could run max missions all day and I would select each planet at that time to show activity. Until I got fed up with the lack of good sleep that is.

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:24:10 PM »
OpenParser can only report the data it is given. If the data is is given shows a tendency for the player's planet to have activity at the time the galaxy is scanned, so be it. This does not appear to be a bug.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline Andrea Nard1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »
I would think that these folk have found a tactic to limit the usefulness of the parser.

Simple regular probing by a friend can counter the effectiveness of the parser. Running missions can also have the same result as I used to set a repetitive timer so I could run max missions all day and I would select each planet at that time to show activity. Until I got fed up with the lack of good sleep that is.

I understand, it is pretty hard to wake up every 45 minutes...I do not think there is many people that can do that for weeks

Offline Andrea Nard1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 05:30:38 PM »
OpenParser can only report the data it is given. If the data is is given shows a tendency for the player's planet to have activity at the time the galaxy is scanned, so be it. This does not appear to be a bug.

Thanks Matt, excluding a bug, we can assume that those players show activity 24/7? (either theirs or being probed?)

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 05:31:58 PM »
Thanks Matt, excluding a bug, we can assume that those players show activity 24/7? (either theirs or being probed?)

They are more likely than not to show activity at some point during each hour of the day.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline Phil M

• Facebook - phil.mcbride.3
    • Skype - thesevenlevels
    • Twitter - philipmcbride
    • View Profile
    • Phil Mc Bride
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 05:40:36 PM »

Well the world record is 11 days without sleep which resulted in some serious hallucinations; oddly broken sleep patters are worse for the body and result in melt down quicker with a longer period of sleep required to adjust the body afterwards. This would show in the tracker

I would think, and in my experience the answer lies outwith the game and human hands i.e. using of technology to advance the player through nefarious means which BFG cannot track as the "technology" has no need to draw information and resides client side.

If Matt would like a tutorial on how to do this I can arrange for that.

The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.

Offline Andrea Nard1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »
From OpenParser
Tracking Information
Tracking works by looking for activity on a player's planet every time you scan a system. It then adds a number, either 10 for activity within the last 15 minutes, 5 for activity within the last 16 to 59 minutes, or 1 if no activity is detected. This number is then assigned to that player’s colony for the hour that you parsed. This number is increased each time the system is parsed.

The cumulative number is then divided by the number of times the planet has been scanned. If for 3 days in a row you scanned 1:1:1 during the 10:00TUC hour you would get the following:

Day 1        Day 2        Day 3        
(*)        (15 min)        No Activity        Total
10        5        1        16 / 3 = 5.3
So this player during the 10:00UTC is more likely than not to be online at that time. The more times the system is parsed, the more accurate the output is like to be. When viewing this data through our website it is color coded from green (1) to red (10). In short, the higher the number between 1 and 10, the more likely a player is to be online or showing activity during that hour.
unquote

00   01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23
9.50   9.40   8.64   9.55   8.00   7.76   8.92   8.65   8.67   9.15   8.24   8.50   8.78   8.77   8.84   8.88   9.55   9.15   9.26   9.55   9.67   9.46   9.33   9.41

How would you explain that Matt? I cannot explain it, without doing any calculation, that player is never inactive over the 24 hours, actually more * than 16-59...

TimeLord uni3

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
@phil easy enough to do for sure a refresh script or external program to do the same thing would work, but would be against the rules. I was not going to mention that.

I rather hope that a player is beating the parser by a worthy tactic rather than being a bad boy. I was a able to keep the planets active for about 2 months when I was off work and while There were gaps, but they were not patternable as I was playing so much and only napping on an irregular schedule. For sure I had no life at that time other than the game, but someone not working and addicted to the game could easily make the parser irrelevant.

When I was playing a lot in X and X2 I was hitting NPC's constantly from my moons and would snooze for the time they were out with an alarm set to let me know when they returned. then I would rinse and repeat. it is amazing how many NPC hits you can accomplish doing that all day every day. you should not do it against active players as you will be killed far too often, but without oracle in uni 3 it could be safe enough if you know the player you are hitting is off line. I would not do it though.

Offline Crazy Critter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:25:12 PM »
activity is created by probing aswell correct?? if so some people may have others they know probing them whenthey sleep to throw the tracker off and make it look like they are online. I have heard of this before, all you would have to do is throw a couple of probes at the planets a couple of times an hour to keep it active.

Offline Kinkstaah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »
I think using a particular person as an example is a very poor way to get your point across......Unless you just don't wanna be a girl about it and just say it?   I have done nothing to you or giving you any indications that im an insomniac.  I play this game way to much to be disrespected like this.  Please delete my name off this thread.  Thanks, KINK

Offline Phil M

• Facebook - phil.mcbride.3
    • Skype - thesevenlevels
    • Twitter - philipmcbride
    • View Profile
    • Phil Mc Bride
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
I hear this guy is at it too

http://uni3.openparser.com/search.php?cp=16925&search=p&exact=true&query=Iconoclast%20of%20Top%20Gun#

But honestly there must be a bug - let us use Kink as an example:

G1 at the bottom is a bit of a hotbed of probe activity, so let us assume a benchmark of 4.6 for activity being us sad lot probing constantly in a very dense part of the galaxy.

G1 further up seems to indicate every hour of the day is higher than that which i would put down to human activity or more probing in a less populated area of the galaxy (that seems an odd defense).

I know when i was ranked no 11 virtually no one probed me so it must be human activity and fleet movements on mine. I've managed to take two top 100 fleets this week and for the one player (Gambit) no one probed any of his colonies for 3 hours and the other (Riza) no one probed for 2 hours.

Any ideas Matt?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:34:12 AM by Phil M »
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.

Offline Kinkstaah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 10:31:40 AM »
This is like a good ole fashioned Witch hunt!

Offline Sam Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »
If you are not on 24 hours a day, and not constantly being probed when you are asleep, then there is clearly an issue with open parser.  You should not look at this as a whitch hunt, we need to find out what is wrong with the parser, as right now you clearly have an advantage over the rest of the players, as we cannot determine your online times, yet you can determine ours..

I'm sure you do not want that, and would happily assist in how the parser is reading this info if so wrong..

Offline Bud Abing

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »
I am inclined to believe it is NOT a bug as it is only affecting a certain number of accounts but then again I suppose those accounts could be special in some way or another. Earlier this week I had a discussion with someone whose account was one of these special accounts and their explanation was feeble at best and by reading the posts here it does not appear as if Matt has any better explanation other than it appears to be working correctly and those special account owners MUST be playing 24 hrs a day. So some people do not need to sleep ever it would appear.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer