contact
July 22, 2019, 12:01:22 PM

Author Topic: Let's brainstorm...  (Read 40637 times)

Offline The Millennium Pigeon

• View Profile
Re: Let's brainstorm...
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2015, 05:59:28 AM »
A great step by BFG to engage the players, but only if they are listened to.

Numerous Multiverses are not the answer, I agree with the focus on what you have. Open up existing universes with new ships, buildings, research and defenses.

NPC's that can attack. I think they should have the ability to damage your fleet, to counter that, I think that you should be able to build defenses that are only relevant to the NPC's and for live gamers they are meaningless, so that there becomes a true duel aspect to the game.

Working on the NPC aspect....Invasion forces, space marines. Could you occupy a planet? A meter showing if you are winning or losing the battle for a resource rich planet. Do you need to be more tactical and have to use ground troops or air attacks.
If you win can you hold on to it.

Special tech or ship that is awarded for NPC victories. These ships are rare, cannot be built, uber powerful and act like an ace up a players sleeve. Almost a top trump if you will. Or a special tech like the ability to cloak a fleet......But do not just give the best awards to the biggest players, this could help energise the lower levels and keep the big boys and girls on their toes.

From the game player point of view, damage and repairs. Soldier/marine/pilot academies (like the old command and conquer) so that you cant just build a ship, you have to man and feed your army too.

It is a game, like any game whether it be Playstation or Online I want to play it on my terms, game play for Starfleet becomes to onerous and after awhile most gamers fade away. Life is more important, the game does need to cater for those gamers that need to shelve it so that they can focus on family and career.

I think once you have an established top 100 the Universe is extremely difficult for new players to integrate, mission are useless after a certain level and need to become more relevant for all levels of players, as with the lucky draw....a laser cannon....really?! :)

Now that me done......Oh also can I have a chocolate fountain, an x wing, two plastic soldiers, Bon Jovi Crossroads album, a 9V battery and the blu ray extended version of the Hobbit.....

Offline SithPurge

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2015, 06:34:29 AM »
too much reading!! LOL What Fleet Pirate said basically summed up my own ideas. Since this is a brainstorming thread I'm just going to put out as much as I can think of right now, good or bad, since in brainstorming NO ideas are bad.. just unfeasible at times.  :P

Before I start I want to go on the record putting my vote in with those that say NO MORE UNIVERSES. Upgrade, yes, fix bugs CERTAINLY, but please for the love of all things holy, NO MORE UNI's. :P

1 Alliance HQ Planets.
-  first off, there should be an Alliance Hydro Storage on HQ planet. NO MORE cred transfers. what your alliance is capable of is what your members can get. (This is one thing that would give us benefits to being in one)
- Increase the capacity of the resource den on HQ planet (remove from player worlds completely.. it's useless) and allow members to contribute to it's defenses by donating ships as well as resources the leadership can use for defense builds. Officers can fleet save HQ planet if it's under attack..
- HQ planets don't actually do builds/production, instead those increases go towards members' planetary boosts.
- NO field cap on HQ's.

2 Crew.
- change crew so that ships require x number of crew per ship, and add units that can either sabotage defenses or occupy (see below) as well as defending if you're attacked by ground units.
- instead of terries give us the option of using Ground units to occupy attacked worlds, and usurp that world's capabilites for 24 hrs or until the owner can liberate it. (My concept was SFC: INVASION.. where we could take control in this manner.. even HQ planets in the case of WAR battles.)

3 Moons.
- Either remove moons and put the Oracle, Lunar Dock and Warp Gate on planet OR allow Foundry and Labs (I like the labs on moons idea, as it would increase how fast techs can be developed.)
- DROIDS have NO reason why they can't exist on a moon.. they don't need gravity or oxygen, so wtf? lol

4 Advanced Techs.
- Techs at a certain level become useless, so they should either be locked, or used to advance our capabilities. (ie, ARCNet 10 = a Research Foundry, Laser 15 increases weapons capabilities, Particle 15 increases shields.. etc.)

5 Defenses
- allow more than 1 Decoy of each type. nuff said.
- Plasma cannons..  (sigh) Moros and Erbs bypass shields.. that IS the traditional Sci-fi function of PLASMA. Just sayin'

6 Ships
- Use ALL ships
- Allow some customizing of function and just for kicks appearance. (maybe good for defenses as well?)
- I agree with the idea of battle damage and a cost to repair. A percentage of ships return(or survive) damaged.
- Keeping to the theme of Zeus looking like a death star, I'd suggest Erbs be capable of destroying zeus. after all one x-wing destroyed the death star, am I wrong? :P

7 Lucky Draw
- There should be more value to these rewards. maybe scaled up according to player..? things like 1 probe, or 1000 ore are FAR from a "lucky" win..  or possibly a way to trade them in for a credit value if we don't want them?  how about the draw is for a credit value in place of the current resource values..?(it wouldn't have to be a large cred value, just SOME thing that's worth the effort.) idk, but most days it's not worth the time it takes to go do the draw.

8 Missions
- should not count towards fleets used.
- should be available from p mode. (same w/debris collection)
- Or just gone.

9 Unit Cap
- should cap at one exponent below the max the game can handle EFFICIENTLY.
-A building or tech (Exped tech?) that determines how many units a player can have (/level/planet as lab combining works now.)

10 *NEW CONCEPT*
- I suggested this some time ago, and I'll toss it out again, just because I liked it. lol
- ION CANNON. This is a Defense or moon build that shuts down electronics on target Heph, freezing it in place for a short time. (could function like WG/Oracle) perhaps an an Alliance HQ feature?

good lord, I know there's more I'm forgetting, but I've been building this list for far too long as it is.
Everything I tell you is a lie... even that.   :P

Offline commander abаб

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2015, 06:38:41 AM »
It seem that you won't be able to please everyone.

1) When you attack NPCs I believe you should get at least half of the calculated DSP.
2) I don't see harvesting a debris field as a hostile act and should be able to be done in P mode.
3) I would like to see more stringent attack rules. A number 1 player shouldn't be able to attack 200 ranked players. Keep it more to the players have a chance against the people who can attack them.

Orden (only playing in Universe 3 at this time).

Already possible.  Send the harvesters or send with no harvest if already in p.  Enter p mode for trip duration.  Exit p mode 1 minute before they reach destination.  After ther harvest occurs, re-enter p mode.

THE SLASH

« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2015, 07:00:28 AM »
I cannot believe people are asking whats already in the other 20 unis lmao
Your not even playing in them with what you want but yet you want another uni with the same stuff.
With the same stuff in it im out like i am in the other unis for this same reason.
If it does not have big changes from the rest of the unis then im out again .
If you like p mode and no probe rides and stuff then go join nova ffs???

Offline SithPurge

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2015, 07:07:26 AM »
Already possible.  Send the harvesters or send with no harvest if already in p.  Enter p mode for trip duration.  Exit p mode 1 minute before they reach destination.  After ther harvest occurs, re-enter p mode.

that's kind of not the point. harvesting WHILE IN P mode. not messing around toggling buttons and spending
Everything I tell you is a lie... even that.   :P

Offline Sam Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2015, 07:56:59 AM »
Been playing a new game for the past week, one thing I can really take from it, is a resource that builds up with time, so like a ticker....

Whilst you will allow commanders etc to be purchased as and when needed. Things like P markers, completing builds early etc will take from the pot, as an example, if you buy a p marker for 8 hours, it will take 1000 charisma(what its called) from your bank, If you want to spend credits on completing early, it costs 1k charisma for 1 hour completes, and xxx amount of credits etc... So Those that do spend money on the game are still capped by the amount of charisma that they have, making them to have to choose what to spend it on, not allowing them to get too far ahead.

Another idea would be to completly remove gate travel, and have worm holes appear randomly through the galaxies, a Wormhole is claimed by a member of an alliance that first gets a ship to it, and this will be a special ship that needs to be sent to capture it. The wormhole will have a timer on it and will disappear when that runs out.. etc. This wormhole can then be used by anyone in the alliance, allowing them to move to any other wormhole once you arrive to it.

DF's should also contain hydro as the third resource when you destroy ships, this will mean that we are not all relient on hydro merchants constantly.

The one thing that frustrates me the most, is those that are playing using scripts to auto play their game, these players are obvious by just looking at the leaderboard, and surely BFG should be able to catch them. I would prefer to have the occasional captcha if they could be used to catch those that are auto playing out. I do not know how these scripts work, but there must be a way to catch and stop them?

Offline TheLoneliestMonk

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2015, 07:58:23 AM »
Would be nice to let the labs operate in single or group mode. This way you can research more than one thing simultaneously.

In group mode specify how many labs and which labs will do the research for that goal. More labs less time.
In this set-up it would be nice to be able to add/subtract a lab after research has begun, but this is a maybe later feature.

Also put a limit on the total number of different things simultaneously being researched at 3.

Offline Grace

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
Nice, Matt. good to see a lil productivity at BFG

Personally, I would like to see a universe with just one guns territory (labor) which would ensure that people would have to be active to progress.

I would also like to see a feature which enables joining up on a harvest in the same way an attack can be joined; a 'group harvest'

In terms of ships, a super harvester. what the cam is to the herc, the super harvester would be to the dio - a harvester which can sweep up 5 times that of a dio but is much slower.

Also, it would be nice if there was some kind of maintenance cost to running a fleet in order to make it more realistic. hardware in real life requires maintenance and cost to sustain so it would be cool if there was some kind of maintained building where any ships damaged in battle or deteriorated from age would could undergo the necessary repairs. This would go some way to help minimize fleet sizes hitting stupid numbers.

Also, just like in the real world, resources are not infinite so having planets with a finite amount of resources to be mined would add another element to the game. Why not just do away with planets and have one homeworld with resource rich territories spawning which expire when they are used up?

edit: also if there is any way you could make the systems rotate around the galaxy that would add a new dimension to the game or even if you could just make it so the galaxy is circular rather than linear, so system 499 is a system away from system 1
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:19:10 AM by Grace »
uh ohhhh... the fat kid got a nuke button!

Offline Crazy Critter

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2015, 08:13:14 AM »
I think i have seen some where about the idea of an alliance vault/bank, Some where which an alliance can store res, this would be good for situations where someone loses a fleet. the alliance could simply open the vault and help there member rebuild. or like i posted previously use it as a pot for going to war for there part of the prize fund.

Make eradeon tradeable also. its a good idea but should have more use.

Offline Grace

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2015, 08:31:16 AM »
can I ask though, Matt... if BFG are going to put the time and effort into something new, why not just relaunch hired guns with the tweaks suggested on the guns board? It is as good as a new uni with a few tweaks and it would be a shame to let BFG's best creation go to waste.
uh ohhhh... the fat kid got a nuke button!

Offline snoopysdeadlydesire7688

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »
i would love to see the layout different so you can at-lest see all your resources and i like to have a grand total of the time it going to take before you add a Hugh number of ships or defenses so you can know if its going to take a year to get done before you can build another ship yard or foundry and out of all the starfleet commander games i have played my favorite by far is Starfleet Commander Conquest you can get further on it then any other game you have made and how about add a new ship that repairs other ships while in battle and if you build enough you can have less lost ships

Offline Stoneaxe

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »
Change the speed percentage for fleet movement from 10-20-30-----80-90-100     to single percentage values   1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-.....98-99-100

Offline Damn Haggis

• Live Long and Prosper, you deserve it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »
That was a long read, but almost as enjoyable as playing, which I managed to do at the same time :D  While at work.  What a win-win!

Some fabulous ideas, some fine minds out there.  A lot of overlap of course, but that is what brainstorming is all about.  Personally I like Nova, it has about the right pace for me, though I have also enjoyed most of the other incarnations.  I have learned that it is better to adapt to any problems, often using other players and their experience to manage those tough times.  Some of my fiercest enemies provided the greatest support following disaster, which is one of the things that makes this community something significant to be a part of.

Some of the things I like include but are not limited to:

Some of the specialized ships.  And there will always be innovators who figure out ways to use them that are completely new and unintended :)

Force fields, I really like that idea, for moons and/or planets.  Maybe based off of a high Warp Gate and Oracle combination or something like that, that would be neat!

I like the course correction/alteration idea.  I throw it another step and say, why not have the ability to plot way points of attack, hit [3:245:15] then [3:250:6]m then [3:250:7].  Toss in an NPC or two if you like.  That would prompt careful calculation of losses, hydro use poses an interesting element...

Species or race capabilites that enhance or limit particular ship use, I think that was Pantin's idea, actually, go back and read his post, all of the ideas there are intriguing...no surprise in that though...

I like the group defend by all regardless of level, speaks to alliance foundations, but there should probably be some limitations regarding contributed fleet size/components/points, something like that. A top 100 player or five defending a 500 level player with everything they have speaks for itself to the attacking 450/550 level player...

I really like the idea of the NPCs showing some spark and spontaneously attacking nearby players - that is, after all, what they always threaten in their transmissions - with interesting results no doubt.

Cool notion of planning ahead for that day when the planets align and you lose your fleet, sort of fleet insurance.  That is similar to the solar satellites that have a chance of regenerating, but with more purposeful investment and foresight.

There are a few more, many have merit.

I really love this game almost as it is.  I have less inclination to bitch and moan than I used to, probably because I have been able to rebuild a few times.  I have been the recipient of an astonishing amount of support both moral and resource-based from time to time, and I try my best to Pay it Forward in spades.  That actually adds another enjoyable element to the game :)

I am also interested in a transfer, or partial transfer, of invested time and credits from say Nova to any new universe.  Can't fight the wheels of change, but if hopping onto another vehicle is padded with some of my hard won sweat equity and cash, I might be so inclined.  Otherwise the alternative to sever ties from an unpalatable option may end up being the only viable one.  Much has been said of the business orientation of these games and BFG, including many detractors.  What the heck do you expect a business to focus on?  The game is free to play, play for free if you so desire, I know I did for a loooong time!  Now it is (sometimes) in my budget to relax into the freedom of using some credits to do whatever could use some credits.  Some spend far more than I, some far less.  It is all on a continuum, and in the end it is what it is.  Make the best of it!

When I don't have the time or the credits to play I will stop, or at least cut back some :P  When I want graphics, sound, space battles, I'll play Star Trek Online or the newer Star Wars The Old Republic.  There are times and places for different games.  Sometimes you play chess, sometimes you play rugby, sometimes you bring a few bucks and a six pack and sit down and play poker with some pals.  All different, all without equal.  So, choose your game, pick the wooden pieces or the ornate filigree, the full contact or the silly buggers, toothpicks or poker chips.  Your task is to enjoy it!

I look forward to more discourse, and some interesting changes.

Cheers all,

Haggis

Offline BobFromAccounting

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2015, 01:31:52 PM »
Create different alien species that each have different advantages and disadvantages.  It might be hard to get a good balance play. 

One might be good at certain technologies -  have quicker build times, better AI, espionage but poor weapons - reflected by how much or how little resources and time it takes to the next level.  These races could start out at higher levels on the techs they are masters of - begin play with AI 2 as an example.

One race could be all battle oriented.  Start out with higher Armor, weapons, shield, those techs require less resources and time, but they're slow.  Ships use more fuel and the drive techs take more resources and longer time.

One race could be take on the turtle mode.  Defenses are faster, ships are slower, start out with a high level of shield.  Defensive techs are faster and cheaper.   Weapons are slower and take more.

You could have a race that mines faster but is inefficient in building because resources are so plentiful. 

These races would also have other restrictions:

Alien race A can't have alliances with Alien race B - if there is a B in an existing alliance A can't join.
Alien race B can't attack alien race C
Alien race D can only ally with other D's

Second idea is to have planets produce variable resources -
You could have a planet that is abundant in hydrogen but has almost not crystal as an example.
It would be a random modifier to the mine production rate ranging from say 0.5 to 1.5.

Offline Sam Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
can I ask though, Matt... if BFG are going to put the time and effort into something new, why not just relaunch hired guns with the tweaks suggested on the guns board? It is as good as a new uni with a few tweaks and it would be a shame to let BFG's best creation go to waste.

Hope not.. Hated that uni, would have to give guns 2 a miss  :D