contact
June 07, 2020, 06:41:48 AM

Author Topic: Structural Damage  (Read 545 times)

Offline Blaer

• View Profile
Structural Damage
« on: December 27, 2009, 03:04:11 AM »
Mayhaps this has been proposed before, or at least discussed, but I could not find it.
Sorry if it has.
What I am wondering is the thoughts on damage being applied to the static elements of a planet... perhaps a level loss of a mine or whatnot... though I would say if damage was the intent, perhaps there would be no raid...
I just think my planet being invincible, just seems weird to me...

Thanks in advance for any input
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Destriant

• View Profile
Re: Structural Damage
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 04:27:27 AM »
I happen to like the way the mines and buildings are safe. Otherwise fleet saving would be pointless, better to leave the ships to defend the planet! Lest you lose it all.

The Wheel spins as the Wheel wills.

Offline Obsidian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 04:40:58 AM »
I agree, if your building took damage then you would have no recourse vs a superior fleet.  Sure you could fleetsave but they would trash your planet.  On top of this if you pissed them off they could trash your planet 6 times a day.  I'd have to side with this is not a good idea.

Offline Scratch MacPherson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 05:25:12 AM »
This idea would make this a man's game.

+1
There can only be one.

Received the following awards]

jetras: Best quote in the thread and +500
SeleneD: Yay for cognitive dissonance.

Offline Wyldhunt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 05:40:22 AM »
Quote from: "Scratch MacPherson"
This idea would make this a man's game.
Yep. It would make it a single mans game. The most powerful players would feed on the less powerful until the less powerful could no longer support themselves.

Grace alliance is now accepting invitations from any who would aid us in our mission to end unhappiness.
Now recruiting scientists, tacticians, diplomats, bunny ranch owners, lollipop crafters, ship manufacturers, river dancers and yodelers.
Learn more here

Offline gaushawk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:59:44 AM »
How about a system where planatery infrastructure is damaged if no defense was mounted.  Effectivly, if there was "no battle took place because there were no defences or ships."

Give people a reason to mount some defense.

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 04:01:31 AM »
Quote from: "Blaer"
Mayhaps this has been proposed before, or at least discussed, but I could not find it.
Sorry if it has.
What I am wondering is the thoughts on damage being applied to the static elements of a planet... perhaps a level loss of a mine or whatnot... though I would say if damage was the intent, perhaps there would be no raid...
I just think my planet being invincible, just seems weird to me...

Thanks in advance for any input

This game is not about attacking to destroy others. It's about attacking to steat their resources (and destroy their fleet if it's in the way). Why would you want to destroy someone's buildings anyway, since you can't farm them if you do.

Also, if you get wiped out, your mines are the only thing that allows you to rebuild. If all your mines were destroyed, you would be finished. Period.

That wouldn't be very good for Blue Frog's buisness.
Zeus\' killed: 2
Moons given: 2

Retired player

Peak rank: #147
Rank after quitting: ~1300

Offline Kroab

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 06:10:13 AM »
I suggested something like this a couple months ago.  I wanted to be able to send in commando's to blow up strategic instalations.  

The response I got from Matt is that it will never happen.  One because it mucks up the logic of fleet saving, and 2 it would radically alter game balance.

Offline Scratch MacPherson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 08:55:05 PM »
I'm going to get this off my chest, but know that I'm not intending to kick and scream, and I'm not asking for change.

I also know this post is about to be bleeped. :P

What the OP suggested is exactly what Travian [name was necessary part of logic, sorry!] does, when you build the specific advanced units that demolish, and they do a fantastic job of NOT going out of business and NOT losing players. The biggest difference is /that/ game has alliances that actually back up their players. Any alliance that doesn't do that doesn't survive or becomes instant farm material.

I'm just saying.

(personally, while I like the sim qualities this game has, and like it better than the other game I mentioned, this one is a bit nerfed when compared to other games like it...)
There can only be one.

Received the following awards]

jetras: Best quote in the thread and +500
SeleneD: Yay for cognitive dissonance.

birthmark-ant