contact
November 17, 2018, 05:45:00 PM

Author Topic: I have yet to...  (Read 1267 times)

Offline %====>0

• View Profile
I have yet to...
« on: December 27, 2009, 06:00:30 AM »
Fleet save or be raided... Ive been playing over 3 weeks. Probably 4 but have yet to fleet save once or be raided. I see all these posts about fleet saving... Dont yall build defenses? Or do you not see the point in investing in them? I figure that if i have 20 pulse cannons and 10 laser cannons with a small decoy that most players my level and levels that can attack me(within the 20k range) wont or will be pummeled with my defenses and i will be able to collect the res from their mass destruction. Is there anyone else that plays this way and if so how has it bennefitted for you? Or is their someone that strategized like me and somehow got pummeled? Just curious...
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Captain Nero of the I.R.W. Narada

Offline Pru911

• View Profile
Re: I have yet to...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:12:08 AM »
You're just lucky that you haven't catch the attention of big players. Or most likely, like me, you don't have big players near your SS. Defense is good deterrence for those below or several levels above yours. IMO, because once you're out of newbie protection you're a free for all buffet, fleetsaving is definitely the ultimate lifesaver.

Offline %====>0

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 06:14:39 AM »
I get espionage reports all the time. From Players that are like 12k and 13k. Way ahead than me but have you to be raided. I just think i might be doing something right with my defenses and keepin the big dawgs from raiding me.

Offline Wyldhunt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 06:22:31 AM »
The main fleet save need comes when you hit 5000 build points. All of your newb protection goes away. Most of the top 100 players hang out in the first galaxies, so the more distant galaxies won't see this problem for a while yet.

Basically, if you have 5001 build points, and the #50 player in the game decides that he wants your resources, then he can send an army that's large enough to take out all of your defenses first round even if you have 100's of them.

If you're not going to fleet save, then the trick is to make sure that you get your anti-ballistic missiles as soon as possible, and never have a large enough fleet and resources on your planet for them to make a profit on you even after their losses from your defenses.

I've never been attacked either, but it's a careful game that I play. I have to always dump more resources into my defenses than I do into my fleet or tech. I have to always make sure that I spend as much of my resources as I can every day so that I don't tempt people.

Once you reach 5000 points, there will be plenty of people who can take everything you have without even flinching.
Grace alliance is now accepting invitations from any who would aid us in our mission to end unhappiness.
Now recruiting scientists, tacticians, diplomats, bunny ranch owners, lollipop crafters, ship manufacturers, river dancers and yodelers.
Learn more here

Offline Pru911

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:27:14 AM »
Really? I'm in my third week also and I'm a 12k, I just assumed you're around that too :shock:  Mind telling me your rank?

I too haven't been attacked. Like Wyldhunt said, it's better playing a careful game than be sorry later. So far I've been spending my resources on techs and mines and hercs.

Offline %====>0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 06:28:50 AM »
Quote from: "Wyldhunt"
The main fleet save need comes when you hit 5000 build points. All of your newb protection goes away. Most of the top 100 players hang out in the first galaxies, so the more distant galaxies won't see this problem for a while yet.

Basically, if you have 5001 build points, and the #50 player in the game decides that he wants your resources, then he can send an army that's large enough to take out all of your defenses first round even if you have 100's of them.

If you're not going to fleet save, then the trick is to make sure that you get your anti-ballistic missiles as soon as possible, and never have a large enough fleet and resources on your planet for them to make a profit on you even after their losses from your defenses.

I've never been attacked either, but it's a careful game that I play. I have to always dump more resources into my defenses than I do into my fleet or tech. I have to always make sure that I spend as much of my resources as I can every day so that I don't tempt people.

Once you reach 5000 points, there will be plenty of people who can take everything you have without even flinching.

Thank you for sharing. Thats kinda what i was wondering. Where in the rank does raiding gt really bad. I think after i get some colonies far enough away from eachother i will fleet save. I just see no point in wasting the hydro right now...

Offline Kroab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 06:29:55 AM »
I adopted the "turtle" strategy early on in the game and this is what I have learned:

1.  Pulse cannons are ok against fighters, but a fleet of 20 posidons will pummel your defenses and leave you in ruins.  If the other guy properly imploys a fighter screen, then you probably won't even dent his cruisers.

2.  Spending resources on defenses before you have built a level 2 silo and stocked it with a full compliment of ABM's is simply a waste.  You are practically begging some jerk to lob an IPBM down your throat just to make a point.  I speak from experience, having twice been the recipient of just such a strike.

3.  Planetary defenses can cost as much as ships, but can't be moved.  Also, building defenses can raise your standing, making you vulnerable to attack from higher ranking players.  

4.  Plan for the future.  You will be surprised how quickly you start to move up the ranks after you've done a few raids and built up a few ships.

5.  Planetary defenses might discourage somone smaller than yourself, but no matter how big you get, there is allways somone bigger.

Having said all that, I am currently in the process of installing plasma turrets on all my colonies :)

Good hunting!

Offline %====>0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 06:33:26 AM »
Quote from: "Pru911"
Really? I'm in my third week also and I'm a 12k, I just assumed you're around that too :shock:  Mind telling me your rank?

I too haven't been attacked. Like Wyldhunt said, it's better playing a careful game than be sorry later. So far I've been spending my resources on techs and mines and hercs.

My #1 goal every day is to upgrade my Solar array or my mines. Currently 15/14/12. But ive been lookin into techs a lot lately and finally got gaia unlocked so i colonized and in the process of colonizing my second planet. For the first 2 1/2 - 3 weeks i focused on mines and defenses. Now im focusing on that and ships and colonies. Im at a point where i wish my mines were double what they are. I just cant seem to get enough res. I also would like to get to lvl 10 capitol so i can decrease build times and stuff drastically.

Offline %====>0

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 06:39:48 AM »
Having said all that, I am currently in the process of installing plasma turrets on all my colonies :)

Good hunting![/quote]

Sweet. I just unlocked the gauss cannon earlier. I plan to build a few of them so i can withstand attacks from cruisers and the sort. I will def invest in missile tourrets since you mentioned your downfall of not having them. I just dont wanna Invest too much into my main planet cause i would like to get closer to the action(like G5 or so) Im all the way out in G46. Nothin but noobs and a$$h*les. Trying to get a good alliance going but people come and play a week and quit. Dont tell you and leave nothing worth raiding. Quitters suck!!!

Offline Pru911

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 06:59:38 AM »
You're just starting to colonize?! :shock: Bad moves that. You should start colonizing early. Fill your 8 slots immediately that way you can gather resources fast.  Don't worry bout the colonies' defenses, you just use them as mining planets first, so ship everything to main planet. That way you never have plenty resources in the colonies (which will make you a target) and you can build your homeworld quickly.

Offline selkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 07:55:13 AM »
Building defences does work against lower ranks, but I built about 18 lasers, 6 pulse, 6 particle and 2 gauss and was attacked with 43 Athena classes.  Couldn't really defend against that - thank goodness for the free rebuild.  My advice - fleet save by sending everything and as much resources as your Hercules' can carry with a Recycler overnight.  Best wishes
"Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one"

Offline Wyldhunt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 08:08:30 AM »
All of my planets currently have (Or will soon have) about 20 anti-ballistic missiles, 50 missile batteries, 50 lasers, 15 pulse, 15 particle, 5 gauss, 1 decoy, 1 large decoy.

I only keep the minimum fleet that I need for raiding inactives and doing all of the daily missions.

I never keep more than a total of 150,000 resources on the planet. Having 70,000 ore, 45,000 crystal, and 35,000 hydrogen, as well as my small fleet, would make me very nervous with those defenses.
Grace alliance is now accepting invitations from any who would aid us in our mission to end unhappiness.
Now recruiting scientists, tacticians, diplomats, bunny ranch owners, lollipop crafters, ship manufacturers, river dancers and yodelers.
Learn more here

Offline Ice794

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 10:50:38 AM »
Quote from: "%====>0"
Fleet save or be raided... Ive been playing over 3 weeks. Probably 4 but have yet to fleet save once or be raided. I see all these posts about fleet saving... Dont yall build defenses? Or do you not see the point in investing in them? I figure that if i have 20 pulse cannons and 10 laser cannons with a small decoy that most players my level and levels that can attack me(within the 20k range) wont or will be pummeled with my defenses and i will be able to collect the res from their mass destruction. Is there anyone else that plays this way and if so how has it bennefitted for you? Or is their someone that strategized like me and somehow got pummeled? Just curious...

You make me laugh.  If I were to find your planet, I'd send my smallest raiding fleet of 63 Athenas, and 82 Posi's...and a couple of Dio's to carry your scrapped fleet back to my colonies.

Icé.

Offline Pheanor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 11:23:25 AM »
Seriously guys, people walk thru similar defenses for far less resources than you are leaving. Cha-ching destroyed points and hydro to keep going. That shark has to keep swimming or it will drown.

Weeks of inactivity will be followed by your 90 mins of flame. Your fleet, your defenses and your resources will be gone.

Learn to Fleetsave because its just a matter of time.
Z.O.E. (Zeus Omniverse Experience)
[size=60]to all who worship the Zeus add Z.O.E to the end of a planet name[/size][/url]
ZK:4 MM:8 MO:4

Offline dbmoreland

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »
Quote from: "Ice794"
Quote from: "%====>0"

You make me laugh.  If I were to find your planet, I'd send my smallest raiding fleet of 63 Athenas, and 82 Posi's...and a couple of Dio's to carry your scrapped fleet back to my colonies.

Icé.
And you make me laugh. Go ahead and send that fleet. By the time it gets here you will have spent so much time and hydro that it will not be worth it. And you will need more than a couple of Dio's to haul the scrape back, but it will take them so long to get here that we will probably have rebuilt our fleet by then. We are not playing in your Galaxy. You just don't understand how far 40 Galaxies is do you? We are not worried about the people who started this game 3 months ago, they are not playing in G40+. And good luck finding us anyway, you only have to search 10000 systems. The nice thing about playing out here is that the only people we have to worry about are the people who started the game when we did. And most of them aren't playing it any more so there is plenty of room for those of us who still are. Will we have to fleet save eventually, sure. But not for quite a while. By then we will have 100 Proms.

birthmark-ant