contact
September 16, 2019, 02:44:28 AM

Author Topic: Solar vs. Nuclear - Chapter 1  (Read 15051 times)

Offline J.L. Picard

• View Profile
Re: Solar vs. Nuclear - Chapter 1
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 01:05:37 PM »
Quote from: "ThatOneGuy"
Nuke Plants and Solar Arrays each use one field per level, so there is no meaningful advantage there.

Building SA to level 20 gives you 2690 Energy. 366 more than on level 19. To get the same Energy from NPP you have to build NPP to level 2 (324 Energy) additionaly to a Solar Satelit.
That's what i ment. If you've got enough fields --> it doesn't matter what you are doing
                           If you haven't                  --> you should think twice and think about how much ress you would pay for 1 field
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Aaria.moon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 05:10:49 PM »
Sorry, math and English just don;t make any sense.
To get the same Energy from NPP you have to build NPP to level 2 (324 Energy) additionaly to a Solar Satelit.

NPP at level 2 is not 324, maybe level 6? Good luck tryint o explain that away 6 fields for level 6 NPP genius, one level for solar array.

The cost of solar array increases by 1.5. The cost of a nuclear plant increases by 1.8. Until you get an insanely high and useless energy tech level then NPP will always be a waste.

calculate costs, and go recolonize a bigger planet. Screw listening to a guy who wants you to build on a tiny planet to save space.
HONEYBEE MALES: DURING COPULATION THEIR BODY EXPLODES APART LIKE GRENADE; GENITALIA HAS HOOKS AND SPINES AND IT WEDGES INTO FEMALE AND SEALS HER OPENING.

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 05:46:25 PM »
Quote from: "ThatOneGuy"
Your Nuke Plant should be about 1/3 the level of your Solar Array. It will sip truly microscopic amounts of hydrogen and allow a couple of extra levels for your mines. This is regardless of your mine levels, including your Hydrogen Synthesizer.

Someone up above actually typed that it is okay to power your Crystal and Ore mines with Nuke Plant, but not your Hydrogen Synthesizer. I am very eager to learn how I can divert my power from specific sources into specific mines.

I meant it was better to turn the reactor up for a crystal or ore mine upgrade instead of a hydro synth upgrade.

Reactors are okay, but if you can get extra hydro by building sats instead of turning up a reactor you should.
Zeus\' killed: 2
Moons given: 2

Retired player

Peak rank: #147
Rank after quitting: ~1300

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 05:49:47 PM »
Quote from: "Perseus"
I meant it was better to turn the reactor up for a crystal or ore mine upgrade instead of a hydro synth upgrade.

Reactors are okay, but if you can get extra hydro by building sats instead of turning up a reactor you should.

Not like it would matter because energy is pooled though. I just feel like wasting hydro when I use a reactor to power a hydro synth upgrade.

Retired player

Offline Xela

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 05:57:49 PM »
solar array does get expensive though... level 27 on my homeworld ;)
see for your self [XX:XXX:XXX]

;)
~Xela
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:13:25 AM by Laggynate »
SFCO
Xela~Rank #293~NTA
Zeus Kills~5 ~ 3 in one SOLO hit \";)\"
Moons Made~14
Most Recent
~Zinkzan #26,022  NOTW  (20% Chance)

Moons Owned~3
After 55,250 artemis

Offline J.L. Picard

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 06:09:17 PM »
ok i made a mistake, but that's no reason to get impolite.
doesn't matter. you guys are all gods.
JUST YOUR way is the best, all other are noobs
it's too complicated to say "it depends on what you want and what you have", isnt it?

bye

Offline Aaria.moon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 02:05:38 AM »
Sure if you want to waste your resources go for nuclear power plant past the point where it puts out less energy than the solar array. there's nothing more to the NPP than that. Its like a race building these things, You can build two levels of solar array before you build another level of NPP and you will be saving space and getting more energy per field point.
HONEYBEE MALES: DURING COPULATION THEIR BODY EXPLODES APART LIKE GRENADE; GENITALIA HAS HOOKS AND SPINES AND IT WEDGES INTO FEMALE AND SEALS HER OPENING.

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »
Quote from: "Xela"
solar array does get expensive though... level 27 on my homeworld ;)
see for your self [xx:xxx:xx]

;)
~Xela

You shouldn't have your coordinates on here. Did you read the rules you got when you joined?

Retired player

Offline Amodius

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 08:22:41 AM »
Technically you're not supposed to link other people's coords.

Linking your own (assuming they are), is just waving a bloody steak in front of a pack of hungry, wild dogs.  :o

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »
Quote from: "Amodius"
Technically you're not supposed to link other people's coords.

Linking your own (assuming they are), is just waving a bloody steak in front of a pack of hungry, wild dogs.  :o

You're not supposed to post coordinates at all. It doesn't matter who's they are.

You don't get a report on Solar Array level when you scan someone anyways.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:32:07 PM by Perseus »

Retired player

Offline Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 01:30:53 PM »

Why is that?

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 01:34:31 PM »
Quote from: "Ness"

Why is that?

There's really no reason to know it. You don't get a report on Reactor level either. Having those 2 appear on an ESP report would just clutter up the report.

Retired player

Offline Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
There's really no reason to know it. You don't get a report on Reactor level either. Having those 2 appear on an ESP report would just clutter up the report.

I think it'd be useful for calculating hydro production/usage when trying to determine whether or not someone's online/FSed.  If we're going to show all the builds and techs they don't have (Foundry 0, ARCnet 0) I don't see what 2 more buildings being listed would hurt.

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »
Quote from: "Ness"

I think it'd be useful for calculating hydro production/usage when trying to determine whether or not someone's online/FSed.  If we're going to show all the builds and techs they don't have (Foundry 0, ARCnet 0) I don't see what 2 more buildings being listed would hurt.

That wouldn't work since you don't know how many droids/workers are in their mines, what their base production for hydro is on that planet slot, or if their reactor is even turned on.

Retired player

Offline FRACKnCYLON

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »
As a newbie player who has been playing now for about a week and a half, I have noticed that there is a valid reason to have reactors over satellites - the distance from your star. My home planet is in location 13, which means that I have pretty good Hydrogen production, and lousy satellite energy production. My satellites produce 8 units / hour - no, not a typo, eight (8) units / hour. It make sense for me to build a low level reactor to augment my solar array between mine builds. I can build my mines to a level that the solar collector doesn't supply them enough energy, and tune my reactors to exactly where they need to be in order to provide full energy output with very little waste. Then save up resources to build the next highest solar array, and turn off the reactors when it comes online. The reactor sips very little hydrogen at this point. At this early stage of the game for me, I don't have nearly as much need of hydrogen as I do other resources. I am sure that this will change later, but for now I am comfortable with it.

birthmark-ant