contact
September 18, 2018, 07:43:03 PM

Author Topic: Solar vs. Nuclear - Chapter 1  (Read 13202 times)

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
Re: Solar vs. Nuclear - Chapter 1
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2011, 03:07:38 PM »
I think the answer changes as you become more developed in the game.  For myself, I have (had) lvl 16 energy tech and lvl 16 NPP.  My mines were at 32/28/28 on all planets.  Between these and about 400 sats I could power everything and leave the NPPs mostly powered off.  I dismantled all solar arrays and freed up a ton of fields.  The hydro cost is a very small fraction of my hourly production even at full power.  If my satellites get crash I could crank up the NPPs and recover production instantly.

At lower levels though it is really impractical to invest so much in energy tech and the high cost of NPPs at higher levels.  SA's and sats are a much cheaper option when your resource production is low.  The trick is determining when to start making the transition such that your progress doesnt screach to a grinding halt, and your RSP doesn't take a huge hit (like mine did) by dismantling lvl 30+ SAs.. :-(

Morat

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2011, 04:59:10 PM »
It's also a different answer for each Uni.

Offline Jedi High General

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2011, 11:31:38 PM »
What Morat says is correct. I play Original version, uni 2, X1 & X2. In orig, Uni 2 & X1 I would never consider using Nuke power. Hydro mines there cannot produce enough to make it a viable energy source. However in X2 it is a different ball game. Until recently I swore bu Solar Power. But someone made me test nuke power there with a comment they made to me. So on a planet I set up building nukes to replace my solars. I was shocked at what happened. With Hydro mines in X2 producing so much hydro. Well my hydro production was barely even dented by switching over to nukes. I am at lvl 15 energy tech there & well here is somert I posted within my alliance to show the different in field count between Solar & Nuke Power This is same planet with Nuke Power & before it had nuke power:

This is what I have at my most developed planet at current. It is a 243 field planet & has 191 fields used up. So this goes to show that with a lvl 15 Energy Tech. That you can develop good mines on a 206 planet using NPP's over Solar's. LOL.

The NPP planet of 243 using 191 of it's fields:

Ore Mine level 30
Production: 111,926
Energy: 5,235

Crystal Mine level 28
Production: 52,710
Energy: 4,038

Hydrogen Synthesizer level 26
Production: 25,455
Energy: 6,198

Solar Array
Energy Production: 0

Nuclear Power Plant level 19
Energy Production: 18,210
Hydrogen Consumption: 2,326

Shipyard level 15
Capitol level 12
Research Lab level 13
Missile Silo level 7
Factory level 4
Ore Warehouse level 12
Crystal Warehouse level 10
Hydrogen Storage level 9
Foundry 6

This is same 243 planet when it was using Solar Arrays & being changed over to NPP's it was using 209 of it 243 fields:

Ore Mine level 30
Production: 111,926
Energy: 5,235

Crystal Mine level 28
Production: 52,710
Energy: 4,038

Hydrogen Synthesizer level 26
Production: 25,455
Energy: 6,198

Solar Array level 34
Energy Production: 17500+

Shipyard level 15
Capitol level 12
Research Lab level 13
Missile Silo level 7
Factory level 4
Ore Warehouse level 12
Crystal Warehouse level 11
Hydrogen Storage level 10
Foundry level 6

So to conclude. Switching to NPP with Energy Tech 15 gives you an extra 18 fields to play with. That a Solar Array would use up.

So make up your desicion. I would only do this in X2 cause Hydro mines are ridiculous with the amount of hydro they produce. Has said I would never do this in Orig, Uni 2 or X1. Not worth it there.

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2011, 11:44:45 PM »
you are ridiculous...
my colonies in x1 use 30k+ energy, i get 20k+ from helios. based on the savings from not using npp for that amount of power i can rebuild helios every 4 days.  the better you build your mines, the better helios become. 8)

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2011, 01:52:57 AM »
the enforcer if u read it properly my last post. I do state that I would only ever use Nuke power in X2 cause of the Hydro that Hydro mines give of there.

A lvl 28 hydro mine with mine driods produce 43,817 hydro per hour. So 2,326 hydro per hour used up by a nuke reactor in X2 is basically nothing. I still have to see what a lvl 30 hydro mine produces. Cause the jump has u can see from last post of a lvl 26 mine being 25,455 per hour is well absolutely amazing. No other uni other than X2 has these types of mine rates in.

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »
@Jedi, I disagree with your assertion that nukes are not worth it in x1.  The ratio of cost to run versus hourly production, assuming your energy tech is 15+ is just as appealing when compared to the fields gained by eliminating SAs.  There were many players making the transition before x2 was launched.

Offline Monkey D. Luffy

• Monkey D. Luffy - Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »
Can't speak for the other universes, but I can confirm this is X2:

With energy 17, the nuke plant is indispensable.
~Monkey D. Luffy - Retired.

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »
i can confirm this is x1. my guess is what you spent on npp's and energy tech you could of built enough def to protect your helios.

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2011, 04:18:31 AM »
Ok has been a while since I checked upon my X1 account rarely checked it. Not sure if my X1 account is till active now come to think about it.
But yes mygrynch u would be rite there. Thinking about it. If a lvl 33 hydrogen produces that like enforcers picture shows. Then yes I would use it in x1. If I'm still there. LOL.
If that's the case in X1 then the NPP would probably be more than viable to switch to in uni2 to. Has mine rates are higher than in X1 but lower than X2. So will be worth looking into that will. May try it on a planet there see what happens. LOL. Run another experiment.

Offline LunarAvenger

• Your flesh shall be sutured into the orthodoxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2011, 10:52:15 AM »
Just to point out, don't the NPP in the eXtreme universes use twice as much hydrogen? Just sayin...
I'm Ancient
Wiki Administrator, disciple of the ZPM, Nachträcher des Imperiums.

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2011, 11:39:28 PM »
@Lunar Even if that were true, which I can't  say either way, the cost to run my NPPs is an insignificant portion of my hourly production, especially considering the fields gained.  Of course I don't run my nukes at 100% anyway, unless I have to.  I have no SA's and use helios to power my mines.  If someone crashes my sats, I turn on the NPPs to continue production until I can backfill.  As long as you go a decent amount of time without getting crashed, its cheaper to build helios.