contact
October 22, 2019, 03:49:14 AM

Author Topic: So, just how big is a Heph?  (Read 120 times)

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
So, just how big is a Heph?
« on: September 29, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
The artwork shows the Heph as being a physical ship.  That concept might have worked in the past, but it doesn't work anymore!

I had too much spare time the other day and started fiddling around with a "Heph concept".  Here is what I posted to the internal HOD message boards.

The amazing thing about a Heph is that it is a "virtual ship", whose dimensions are defined using energy fields. As your fleet grows and you need more volume, the remotely-guided platforms that contain the field generators can be moved farther from the Heph's engineering and power structures, thereby expanding the volume that is enclosed by your Warp fields. In the extreme, a Heph can be used to shepherd a max battle fleet, which includes 9.223 Quintillion of each other ship type -- including Zeuses. Given that each Zeus is about the size of Earth's natural satellite, Luna, the Heph's energy fields have to encompass a volume that is about the size of a sphere with a radius of 2.8 billion miles -- about the distance of Neptune from Sol.

How!  A virtual transporter that is the size of our solar system, out to the orbit of the most remote planet, Neptune (sorry about that, Pluto!).

There is one assumption here -- that a Zeus is about the size of the earth's moon.  I'm taking this assumption from David Weber's "Dahak" science fiction series, in which it is discovered that our moon actually is an ancient, camouflaged, intelligent super-battleship named Dahak. 

The thing about a max fleet, including max Z's in the fleet, actually is a reality.  MR P actually has multiple max Z-fleets available to him,including one on his Heph.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
Re: So, just how big is a Heph?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 04:08:34 PM »
And here is the basis for the calculation for the diameter of the Heph's enclosing energy fields.

The calculation was pretty crude. I calculated the volume of a cube that had dimensions equal to the diameter of the moon, multiplied that by 9.223 quintillion, and calculated the radius of a sphere that would have that volume.

So, our Z's are really snugged in with either other, stacked top-touching bottom. We could go with a denser packing that might save some space, but I imagine our Zeus commanders might not like being even more crowded than I've described.

There should be lots of space in there for all the other ships, maybe they could have competitions during the trip -- races in the "dead space" around all the Z's!

Offline nomadd40

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 03:34:22 AM »
If the Hep. is the size of Neptune from Sol.
Then that would start knocking planets around when it came in system. What if you used the idea from Dune of folding space inside the Hep. You would have a infinity amount of space to use and could unfold it launching your ships.
No Borg ever won a war dying for the collective. Only decimating, or assimilating the other poor species.
Assimilated from Gen. Patton's speech.

nomadd
ASSIMILATION DRONE Unimatrix 0

Offline ML1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 04:14:18 AM »
I think we can all agree.

"It's bigger on the inside"

birthmark-ant