contact
November 17, 2018, 07:35:41 PM

Author Topic: Penalties...  (Read 531 times)

Offline -V-

• View Profile
Penalties...
« on: January 23, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »
I came out of Dip Mode for the third time today and feel confident I can speak under authority on the topic that going into Dip incurs an automatic penalty...regardless.

Each time:  first, 2 months ago;  second, 1 month ago; and third: 1 week ago:  I lost on average 100 ranking points.  Without hitting a key stroke or losing a battle I lost ranking.  And now that I'm back, I automatically gained ranking points.  Again, without hitting a key stroke, or winning a battle I gained 40 rankings from this morning to this afternoon.  I simply came out of Dip.

BFG:  At least admit the fact that going into Dip incurs a penalty (greater than the absurd taxation).  I'd be happy to do it 5 more times and post EXACT numbers, if that's what it takes.

I know regualar logging into the game makes money and those in Dip may/or may not be making the game money, but this is borderline unethical.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
"No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty, I\'m no longer standing, because if I am... you\'ll all be dead before you\'ve reloaded."  -V-

Offline Janna

• View Profile
Re: Penalties...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:20:56 PM »
Could it not be people around your level are gaining and losing points which will make your ranking go up and down?
There are no good girls gone wrong -- just bad girls found out.

Offline -V-

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:58:57 AM »
it absolutely could be...even when active i've gained/lost ground at 30-40 rankings a day even with out much action on my part (wins/losses), so you're right.  but it can't be a coicendence if 3 times you go into dip and all 3 times i automatically lost ground to the tune of 50-100 rankings.  i might not have noticed if when i came out of dip i also automatically gained ground, without even doing a raid, building a ship or researching a tech. just **poof**.  it's magic.

i don't have a problem w/ it so much as i'd like someone to just admit it and quantify it.  i really wish the taxation thing would just go away and let people w/ real lives enjoy this game, but i know that's not going to happen.  i just want to know what the actual toatl penalty is for playing sfc and having something in the real world to do.
"No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty, I\'m no longer standing, because if I am... you\'ll all be dead before you\'ve reloaded."  -V-

Offline javaguru

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 03:02:51 AM »
Quote from: "Janna"
Could it not be people around your level are gaining and losing points which will make your ranking go up and down?
That would be my guess.

I know that I can gain or lose 100+ ranking levels from day to day. Yesterday I was in the high 700's and this morning I was in the low 900's and I've never been in dip mode. Also, the rankings only update periodically.

Offline Maloar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 03:06:20 AM »
If you prefer (d) that's fine, but please don't use the "let people with real lives enjoy the game" arguement.
Fleetsaving is easy.  Resource saving, once you have a Dio is equally easy.

(d) mode is by no means necessary to enjoy this game and have a fulfilling life.
-Iron must be dirtied, burned and beaten before it can become steel.

Offline ozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 03:21:55 AM »
I agree.. I have never been in D-mode... have been abliterated a couple times... but that  is just a learning curve... now I have a substantial fleet and defenses and wish someone would come attack me...**I like to suddenly show up ninja any force tryin to steal my hard earned resources...lol**.. would rather go down in a flame of glory..then go D-Mode with my tail between my legs... live by the creed..MAYBE TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!!

Offline javaguru

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 03:35:06 AM »
Quote from: "Maloar"
If you prefer (d) that's fine, but please don't use the "let people with real lives enjoy the game" arguement.
Fleetsaving is easy.  Resource saving, once you have a Dio is equally easy.

(d) mode is by no means necessary to enjoy this game and have a fulfilling life.
I've never understood the argument that having a  busy life requires one to be in diplomacy mode. I'm lucky in the sense I have unfettered internet access at work but I have to fleet/resource save based on my travel schedule and down time. I've been playing for months and only been attacked twice. I work 40+ hours a week and take 9-12 semester hours of college courses and I've never considered entering diplomacy mode.

Offline The Marmot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 05:05:36 AM »
Troung Nam Kien entered diplo a few days ago and he's holding steady at #5.  I think you need a bigger sample size than 3 to determine it's not merely coincidence that you've gained or lost ranking while entering/exiting diplo.

Offline kanndae2003

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:16:44 AM »
Hundreds of thousands of people play this game actively (probably), and if you are in a large cluster where only a couple of points seperates a thousand players, going into diplo mode, while having these other players actively play the game will allow them to overtake your position.  Diplo mode will cause you to drop in ranking, but this isnt an automatic penalty.  It is, however,  you not actively playing the game.  

Why penalise other players by having them wait for you to exit diplomacy mode before they can overtake you in the rankings?

birthmark-ant