contact
February 26, 2020, 05:48:23 AM

Author Topic: Pushing ... and moons  (Read 506 times)

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
Pushing ... and moons
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:30:58 PM »
Can someone -- hopefully someone from BFG -- help clarify Pushing?

The wiki says:
 Pushing
You cannot send resources to a player ranked higher than you. Trading is allowed, but the trade must follow standard ratios and must be completed by both parties within 24 hours.

And could be interpreted to only apply to trade and transport missions.  The Trade missions are already coded to only work within the ratios; and the transport missions don't allow sending resources to a higher ranked player.

So ... are there other ways that Pushing can be done?

The reason I ask is because this entire "Let's make a moon" actually encourages groups of players to help get their group a moon.

Let's say 11 players decide they want to have someone in their group have a moon and share in the costs and benefits.  So 10 of the players build 250 artemis each, for a total of 2500 artemis.  They group attack the 11th player, who has poseidons and other defenses waiting.

All fine so far?

Now the question arises: who's allowed to touch the debris field?

In this particular case, the 11th player who has poseidons is also the only guy who has dionysus ships.  The plan is for him to collect the debris field and redistribute it to the other 10 players -- who are all lower ranked than him.

Did Pushing occur in this example?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Dampaq.Pale.Horseman

• View Profile
Re: Pushing ... and moons
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »
Not if the 11th player is the higher ranked and gives back to the lower ranks all the DF..

The moon in this instance is a by product of the resources.

Pushing is where a higher ranked player recieves resources from a lower ranked player
Death[/b], and his Hades followed with him.[/color]

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:35:44 PM »
Also found This Thread ... but nobody from BFG gave an official answer.

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:37:47 PM »
Yes, it would be pushing if the higher ranked player who the lower ranks are trying to give a moon took the debris field (if it was planned like that and he didn't steal it from the lower ranks)

There's a thread about moons and pushing that Matt made, but God help you if you try try to find it. I don't even know what section it's in, and it would probably be hard to search for.
Zeus\' killed: 2
Moons given: 2

Retired player

Peak rank: #147
Rank after quitting: ~1300

Offline Dampaq.Pale.Horseman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:39:23 PM »
What Master did in that instance was correct.
Death[/b], and his Hades followed with him.[/color]

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 06:01:48 PM »
Quote from: "Perseus"
There's a thread about moons and pushing that Matt made

Thanks for the hint.  I found it.

The Thread is called ... I think we need clarification Feb 27
Quote from: "Matt"
It's easier to say what isn't OK than what is. What is not OK is the following.

Lower ranked player sends an attack at higher ranked player.
Higher ranked player nets profit by collecting the debris.
This was done specifically to give the higher ranked player a profit.

The last part is crucial, and also the hardest to judge and why we cannot avoid this programmatically. It is OK to attack a higher ranked player than you. It is surely OK for the higher ranked player to ninja the lower ranked one, the collect the spoils.

It is not OK for two players to work together to push resources from a lower ranked player to a higher one.

So in the case of purposeful moonshots, do any one of the following.

1.Trade them equally. If both players smash, say, 500 artemis into the other, then both players lost the same amount. No resources were pushed. Both players can harvest the debris by their own planet.
2. Have the higher player pay for the moonshot. For instance I am higher ranked than you. I ship you enough ore for 500 artemis. You build them and then slam them into me. Now I can collect the debris.
3. Have the higher ranked player send all harvested debris back to the lower ranked player. Then the higher ranked player did not profit. Do this within 24 hours.
4. Have the lower ranked player collect his own debris.
5. Have nobody collect the debris. You probably don't want to leave it there for someone else, but technically you could and it would avoid pushing.

So in summary, it's alright to collect the debris. Just make sure the higher ranked player doesn't make a profit in doing so.

That pretty much answers this thread.

birthmark-ant