contact
February 26, 2020, 07:12:55 AM

Author Topic: Flagship/Hero  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
Flagship/Hero
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
Intro.  Science Fiction novels and stories are rarely made about generic no-name ships.  Star Trek had the USS Enterprise.  Star Wars had the Millennium Falcon.  Firefly had Serenity.  Babylon 5 had the White Star.  Farscape had Moya.  Battlestar Galactica had Battlestar Galactica.  Lexx had ummm ... Lexx.  

So, let's give each player a chance to make his game experience epic.  Give them a chance to be their own hero in their epic space battles.

Rules

Each player can only have one active Flagship.

To promote or rebuild a Flagship, you need to have a Headquarters built.  The presence of a Headquarters on a planet allows the Flagship to be deployed there.

A Headquarters of any level can be used to promote an existing ship to be a Flagship.  The level of the Headquarters is the upper limit for rebuilding a destroyed Flagship of the same or lower level.  Leveling up the Flagship occurs while the Flagship is at the Headquarters of the same level.

Flagships gain levels through destroyed ship points they earn by participating and surviving in battles.

Each level grants 3 points, which they can use to customize the Flagship.  Each point is a 10% bonus to a choice of Hull, Shield, Attack, or Speed.  Alternatively, you can also spend a point to increase an existing rapid fire rating by 1.  Alternatively, you can also spend a point to give the entire fleet a +0.1% bonus to either Attack or Hull

When a Flagship is destroyed, it can be rebuilt in a qualified Headquarters on any planet the player owns.  The level of the Flagship being rebuilt increases the costs of rebuilding it.

Flagships start out with the same base statistics of a normal ship, plus 3 custom points for being at level 1.

Optional Stuff
-- Allow the player to rename the Flagship.
-- Grant the player +1 Fleet  (The Flagship has a built-in Admiral)
-- Alien Invaders for the Hero to fight!
----- either as an end-game scenario; or,
----- as a seasonal event

------------ EXAMPLES START HERE ---------
For example:

Player Cody Banks has unlocked Artemis, Apollo, Atlas, and Hercules.  He has built a level 1 Headquarters on his Homeworld.  He also has an Artemis and an Atlas on the Homeworld.  If he had an Apollo built and on the Homeworld, he could promote that to Flagship; but right now, he can only promote either the Artemis or the Atlas.

Cody Banks promotes his Artemis to Flagship.  It is now a level 1 Flagship; and it gains 3 points to customize.  Cody decides to put 2 points into weapons (+20% base attack = +10), and 1 point into Hull (+10% base hull = +40).

Cody starts sending his Artemis out on raids, and fortunately, it survives and gains some experience through destroyed ship points.  (I'm not sure how many should be needed for each level-up... but let's pick an arbitrary number.)  Right now, his Flagship has 92 destroyed ship points, and he needs a total 100 for levelup ... 8 more points to go!  How exciting!

Cody spies a target that might earn him the 8+ points he needs to levelup.  So he launches his raid.  Unfortunately, his Flagship is destroyed in the raid; although he does manage to get plunder.

Back at his homeworld, Cody now has the option of rebuilding the Flagship (which has 92 DS points).  Or, he could build an Apollo in his shipyard and promote the Apollo as a new Flagship (with 0 DS points).  He decides to make an Apollo Flagship -- the 92-DS Artemis Flagship remains "in memory" in case Cody changes his mind at a later date.

His new (0 Destroyed Ship points) Apollo Flagship is at level 1 and has 3 custom points to spend.  Cody spends 2 on attack (+30) and 1 on hull (+85).

After a few more raids, and a few successful defenses, Cody manages to earn 100 Destroyed Ship points with his Apollo Flagship.  His Flagship is now level 2!  He has 3 more custom points to spend ... but he needs to upgrade his level 1 Headquarters to level 2.

After upgrading his HQ, he can now spend the 3 custom points he earned with leveling the Flagship up to 2.  Cody spends 1 on attack (+15) and 1 on hull (+85), and he also spends 1 to improve his rapid fire vs Atlas  from 3 to 4.

The enemy ship targets near his Homeworld have essentially "dried up", and Cody now wants to start raiding from his Colony instead.  But before his Flagship can deploy to his Colony, the Colony must have a Headquarters.  Cody builds a level 1 Headquarters at his Colony, and then he deploys his raiding fleet -- along with the Flagship -- to the Colony.

Fast-forward .... Cody's level 2 Apollo Flagship is destroyed while raiding from the Colony planet.  The colony planet only has a level 1 Headquarters, so he can't rebuild the level 2 Apollo Flagship there (but he does have the option to rebuild the level 1 Artemis Flagship).  In order to rebuild the level 2 Apollo Flagship, he needs to rebuild it at a level 2 Headquarters -- which he only has at his Homeworld.  He now has to choose between leveling up the HQ at his Colony, or rebuilding the Flagship at the Homeworld instead.

Cody decides to upgrade his Colony HQ.  Then he rebuilds the Apollo 2 Flagship from the Colony HQ (level 2).

He continues on more raids, and eventually, he earns the additional 200 destroyed ship points that it would take to level-up the Flagship to level 3.  (Total of 300 = 100 for level 2 + 200 for level 3)

Cody also needs to upgrade one of his HQs to level 3 in order to spend the custom points.  His targets around the Colony have "dried up", so he upgrades his Homeworld HQ to level 3.  Meanwhile, his fleet-and-flagship are being deployed to the Homeworld.

Once both the HQ is at level 3, and the Flagship is at the planet with that HQ, Cody is able to apply the 3 custom points.  He's getting tired of having to rebuild his Apollo Flagship, so he spends the custom points on Hull (+30% = +255)

----------------------

Headquarters Costs
Level - Ore - Crystal - Hydro
1 - 800 - 500 - 200
2 - 1600 - 1000 - 400
3 - 3200 - 2000 - 800
4 - 6400 - 4000 - 1600
etc

Promote / Rebuild Flagship
FlagshipLevel - additional % to ship base cost
1 - 10%
2 - 20%
3 - 40%
4 - 80%
5 - 160%
etc.

For example
Promoting an Artemis to Flagship-Artemis (level 1) costs 3300 Ore, 1100 Crystal
Rebuilding a level 1 Flagship-Artemis costs 3300 Ore, 1100 Crystal
Rebuilding a level 2 Flagship-Artemis costs 3600 Ore, 1200 Crystal
Rebuilding a level 5 Flagship-Artemis costs 7800 Ore, 2600 Crystal

Leveling up the Flagship
Level X - Destroyed Ship Points to go from level (x-1) to (x) --- total Destroyed Ship Points
1 - 0 --- 0
2 - 100 --- 100
3 - 200 --- 300
4 - 400 --- 700
5 - 800 --- 1500
6 - 1600 --- 3100
etc...

(edit: added the +%fleet attack and +%fleet hull bonus)
(edit2: polishing up some vague phrasing and math corrections, and extended the example to level 3)
(edit3: added my guesstimate on costs; and level-up table)
(edit4: added intro, redid some formatting)
(edit5: added optional items)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:42:10 PM by Vanessa »

Offline Rob

• View Profile
Re: Flagship/Hero
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:59:55 PM »
Cool idea. This is probably one of the better flagship ideas I've seen.

+1
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Vastet

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:56:24 PM »
It would be nice to be able to participate in my attacks instead of commanding from a distance.

Zues flagship?

:twisted:

Supreme Commander Vastet
The Valkethian Federation
Aros 2

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 06:02:02 PM »
Quote from: "codename_B"
Allow a boost to speed aswell lol.Zeus flagship!
Quote from: "Vanessa"
Each level grants 3 points, which they can use to customize the Flagship.  Each point is a 10% bonus to a choice of Hull, Shield, Attack, or Speed.  Alternatively, you can also spend a point to increase an existing rapid fire rating by 1.

(edit)  Alternatively, you can also spend a point to give the entire fleet a +0.1% bonus to either Attack or Hull

Got that covered.  I just love the thought of a Speedy Zeus Flagship.

Can you imagine the Epic Battles?!  I'm drooling already...

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »
I've edited the top portion, added my initial guess-timate on costs, and a proposal for how many destroyed ship points are needed to level up.

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 02:54:50 AM »
I've added more stuff to the initial post.  I'd really appreciate getting some feedback on this.  I know you guys are kinda fixated on either whining about the Oracle, or making fun of the whiners   :P

... but perhaps you can redirect some energy into creative / critical thinking.  Thanks!

Offline Arien Trydianth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 05:39:39 AM »
I like the idea, but having already ships in game become flagships is some what disheartening, because I probably had like so-and-so many different vessels I've considered flagships get wiped out, and I've learned that they are nothing more than statistics that inflate ranks.

I like the idea, but an actual flagship would be nice.  A balance in speed of just above Hades but with the ease of use of the Athena with the firepower of the Prometheus as the base.

Not usre of the name though, need to look it up  :geek:

Offline Sid82

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 05:44:32 AM »
+1...I like this idea
Quote from: \"LHDR\"
Quote from: \"Sid82\"
-1 don\'t need a reason other than this is a stupid idea
Quote from: \"LHDR\"
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds."~Albert Einstein
doesn\'t work when idea IS stupid
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8493

Offline SGS 6

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
Two extra benefits I'd like to see added - to encourage people to do it...

- The ability to give the flagship a custom name.
- The fleet that the flagship is travelling with does not use a fleet slot.
Uni 1: retired, formerly Silver Gate Squadron
Uni 2: Sheridan Starkiller, Leader of the Shadows (Shadows)
http://http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Shadows_(Shadows)

Offline SuperKing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 09:39:44 PM »
I like this idea. It gives a little more personality to a pretty impersonal game. +1

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 10:32:25 PM »
Quote from: "SGS 6"
Two extra benefits I'd like to see added - to encourage people to do it...

- The ability to give the flagship a custom name.
- The fleet that the flagship is travelling with does not use a fleet slot.

Wow!  I actually kinda like those.

Definitely the custom named Flagship, that would almost be a natural .. and it would allow you to keep track of the "destroyed flagships" as well.  I'll put that in the next time I edit the top section.

The "does not use up a fleet slot" is kinda cool too!  And it makes sense -- why use AI when the Commander-Himself (the player) is on board!

Vastet

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 12:26:24 AM »
Technically, I'd say you already have a fleet for your commander. It's the free fleet you get when you have 0 A.I. I might like a free cheap fleet, but I don't want my potential enemies to have one too. Therefore I'm against that suggestion.

Supreme Commander Vastet
The Valkethian Federation
Sava's Moon
Riasa

Offline AbsolutZero

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 06:53:27 AM »
+1

Very, VERY sweet idea. Many other space games I've played gave you an upgradable "flagship" and all the rest were faceless fighters.

I like the idea of having a flagship in a game that has many different kinds of fighters.

I would say -1 to the speed idea, as higher leveled players can get ships destroyed points pretty fast for their zues flagships, but they're speed is so damned slow that it would take 200 levels to make them as fast as a Dio...so it's all good.

Love the idea, BFG should look into this one.
I was the 426,882 player to get an Athena, the 416,390 player to get a hades and the 222,716 person to get a Prometheus! Bow before my awesomeness!

Offline Evan Woodard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 12:19:25 PM »
I don't think they'll add it. I would think that it would probably change the battle mechanics. Besides the whole point is to have the better fleet, I don't think the game would be as much fun if it was all about having the better flagship.
See you and your "magical" atlas on the battlefield

I\'m highly religious. I go to the Church of the Doom Beaver.

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 02:53:58 PM »
Quote from: "Evan Woodard"
I would think that it would probably change the battle mechanics.

I think you mean "it would probably change the battle metagame".

The battle mechanics don't change that much.

However, it does have an impact on how players will play (which is usually a good thing for a ship-related feature request).

A flagship on the defender's side makes it a bit harder for the attacker to do a battlecalc -- his probes don't tell him how the defender's flagship is customized.  For all he knows, the defender put all the points into the defensive customizations ... essentially making the flagship an armored decoy.

On the other hand, an aggressive player can put custom points into the offensive customizations ... which can potentially turn *ONE* of his fleets into a rather scary armada.

That said, I think the game is more exciting when there's a larger degree of unknown factors.

birthmark-ant