contact
October 21, 2019, 10:10:33 AM

Author Topic: Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?  (Read 1726 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Bleys

  • Member
  • Posts: 1435
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 08:52:47 PM »
Quote from: "Niles Grey"
My definition of a spam attacker - A person who coordinates his attacks in such a manner as to eliiminate functional game play for another.  An example of this would be the player that sets a series of 10+ attacks seperated by about 30 to 40 minutes per attack creating a contistent cycle of attacks that only stops when the player decides to give it up, or determines that your world has been drain of all the worth while resources.   I've been the target of just such a series of attacks, and found a way to preservere even through 4 days of constant attacks.

Blowing a smoke screen in someones face is a completely legitimate strategy, and I don't think that a 12 hour period of blowing smoke can be considered spam attacking.  Additionally something to point out, I have one world and felt the best way for me to contribute was to help cover my allies.  After providing a base line of cover, Penguin told me of a world I wasn't aware of and stated "You missed one".  Really if he was that worried about the attacks, he wouldn't be trying to ensure that he could present a case of "OMG look at everyone picking on me".
If it seems like a reasonable strategy, I have no problem with it, but we are talking about 100 hour attacks of 1 recycler apiece, thats not a "smokescreen" of any kind, its just lame crybaby antics. You know perfectly well there is no REAL attack ever coming toward him, or any top player for that matter, by some nub alliance with a bunch of pissed off farms. Give me a break man, seriously. Any real attack would be squished and you know it. You arent providing "cover", you are using a game mechanic to harass.
Quote from: "mmulder67"
Not very sporting to only attack those that are so far below you that they can't defend themselves.
Maybe they could change the attacks where you could only attack people with comparable levels of advancement.
Not very sporting when you have arcnet, foundry, and 10+ on every tech to attack someone who has none of those and is working up to it.
Granted, those that don't F/R save are asking for it but I don't hear about someone ranked in the hundreds attacking those in the same level.
If it's not specifically forbidden then it's ok. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.
Seems that the obvious solution would be to stop attacking those people in alliances that have "requested" a cease and desist?
Seems that the obvious solution would be to have a bunch of friends just hammer that nubby alliance over and over til they cease and desist. Stop attacking because they asked? Thats a good one man.

And why cant they defend themselves? Why cant they just move their stuff, fleetsave when not on, and make it a waste of time for the bigger player to bother? I probe 100s of planets a day, but only do a dozen or so raids out of 100 scans. Why cant YOU play like the ones who I ignore? Because you dont WANT too? Sorry, mate, not cutting it.

I will never understand this crap. Play better if you dont want to be farmed, end of story. Dont do lame crap like filling his fleet screen with frivolous attacks designed to do NOTHING more than harass. But hey, if you WANT to play, I am sure 420 has some friends all over the Universe that would love to us "Your Alliance Name Here" as a method of picking targets. I already am, in fact, I scan and hit every new hope I see with profit thats worth a slot. I wont report the harassment either, I will just make your low levels cry to the higher ones. Welcome to SF-Extreme. I know "tactics" too.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Brute Force, if its not working, you\'re just not using enough.

Remember kids, fleetsaving wastes Hydro!

Offline mmulder67

  • Member
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 09:08:32 PM »
Quote from: "Bleys"
Quote from: "mmulder67"
Not very sporting to only attack those that are so far below you that they can't defend themselves.
Maybe they could change the attacks where you could only attack people with comparable levels of advancement.
Not very sporting when you have arcnet, foundry, and 10+ on every tech to attack someone who has none of those and is working up to it.
Granted, those that don't F/R save are asking for it but I don't hear about someone ranked in the hundreds attacking those in the same level.
If it's not specifically forbidden then it's ok. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.
Seems that the obvious solution would be to stop attacking those people in alliances that have "requested" a cease and desist?
Seems that the obvious solution would be to have a bunch of friends just hammer that nubby alliance over and over til they cease and desist. Stop attacking because they asked? Thats a good one man.

And why cant they defend themselves? Why cant they just move their stuff, fleetsave when not on, and make it a waste of time for the bigger player to bother? I probe 100s of planets a day, but only do a dozen or so raids out of 100 scans. Why cant YOU play like the ones who I ignore? Because you dont WANT too? Sorry, mate, not cutting it.

I will never understand this crap. Play better if you dont want to be farmed, end of story. Dont do lame crap like filling his fleet screen with frivolous attacks designed to do NOTHING more than harass. But hey, if you WANT to play, I am sure 420 has some friends all over the Universe that would love to us "Your Alliance Name Here" as a method of picking targets. I already am, in fact, I scan and hit every new hope I see with profit thats worth a slot. I wont report the harassment either, I will just make your low levels cry to the higher ones. Welcome to SF-Extreme. I know "tactics" too.

Unlike those who live in their mommies basement  ;) , some don't have the time to "invest" in "playing" the game as they have jobs and families.
And when someone designs a "tactic" that makes the target cry foul then it seems that that target shouldn't be dishing out what he can't take.
What some call "lame crap" others call "playing the game". Harassment is in the eye of the beholder.
The entire premise of developing planets and creating alliances seems to be lost on some.
If attack is all you know then expect the unexpected.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
I\'d rather ask for forgiveness then permission!

Offline Bleys

  • Member
  • Posts: 1435
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 10:27:45 PM »
Quote from: "mmulder67"
Unlike those who live in their mommies basement  ;) , some don't have the time to "invest" in "playing" the game as they have jobs and families.
And when someone designs a "tactic" that makes the target cry foul then it seems that that target shouldn't be dishing out what he can't take.
What some call "lame crap" others call "playing the game". Harassment is in the eye of the beholder.
The entire premise of developing planets and creating alliances seems to be lost on some.
If attack is all you know then expect the unexpected.
I love these comments. I have quite a full life, thanks, probably busier than yours, actually, I just know how to play.

And Harassment would seem to be in the eye of the game organizers, and since THEY seem to agree with me, what basis do you make YOUR statements on?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Brute Force, if its not working, you\'re just not using enough.

Remember kids, fleetsaving wastes Hydro!

Offline mmulder67

  • Member
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 10:43:34 PM »
Quote from: "Bleys"
Quote from: "mmulder67"
Unlike those who live in their mommies basement  ;) , some don't have the time to "invest" in "playing" the game as they have jobs and families.
And when someone designs a "tactic" that makes the target cry foul then it seems that that target shouldn't be dishing out what he can't take.
What some call "lame crap" others call "playing the game". Harassment is in the eye of the beholder.
The entire premise of developing planets and creating alliances seems to be lost on some.
If attack is all you know then expect the unexpected.
I love these comments. I have quite a full life, thanks, probably busier than yours, actually, I just know how to play.

And Harassment would seem to be in the eye of the game organizers, and since THEY seem to agree with me, what basis do you make YOUR statements on?

I never said you didn't but the fact that the insinuation was offensive to you tells me a lot.  :o
And since the loudest crybaby got his way only means that the "admin" made a recent decision to his benefit.
I know how to play too, as I have steadily (albeit slowly) increased in rankings without having to resort to attacking lower ranked players mercilessly. We call it gamesmanship.
The fact that you are also whining about what has transpired tells a lot about your mentality.
I don't care but whining is the last resort of childish behavior.
Do you enjoy kicking your dog too?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
I\'d rather ask for forgiveness then permission!

Offline Bleys

  • Member
  • Posts: 1435
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »
Yupper, I also wasnt offended by your insinuation, I was amused by it.

And you obviously dont seem to get this game, if you cannot see that attacking those lower ranked is a big part of it. I scan everyone, but the stronger, higher ranked players didnt get there by being careless.

Just because YOU want to play a certain way, more casually, more "friendly", whatever, dont expect everyone else too though. I get my resources from 2 places, my mines, and your mines. You get yours any way you see fit, but stop complaining that the GAME took them.

Now go launch some lame smoke-screen attacks on me. Same name as the board. Come get some, cant wait, bored to hell anyway, been playing this game WAY WAY too long.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Brute Force, if its not working, you\'re just not using enough.

Remember kids, fleetsaving wastes Hydro!

Offline mmulder67

  • Member
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 11:36:59 PM »
Quote from: "Bleys"
Yupper, I also wasnt offended by your insinuation, I was amused by it.

And you obviously dont seem to get this game, if you cannot see that attacking those lower ranked is a big part of it. I scan everyone, but the stronger, higher ranked players didnt get there by being careless.

Just because YOU want to play a certain way, more casually, more "friendly", whatever, dont expect everyone else too though. I get my resources from 2 places, my mines, and your mines. You get yours any way you see fit, but stop complaining that the GAME took them.

Now go launch some lame smoke-screen attacks on me. Same name as the board. Come get some, cant wait, bored to hell anyway, been playing this game WAY WAY too long.

And the obverse applies to you too.
I get this game just fine.
How I want to play is the issue of the whole complaint.
WE utilize tactics involving multiple players to accomplish a goal and a whinig fu**ing crybaby gets his pu**y in a knot?
WE don't want to get "farmed" continuously by a high ranking douchebag so WE utilize a tactic that prevents him from doing so and it's unfair?
F**k him and anyone who cries like a baby because we outwitted them.
Not to worry though, WE have decided to utilize the same tactics and get the "rules?" changed to prevent the scenario's in question.
Prepare to have to battle against players more "equal" to yourself..... :lol:
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
I\'d rather ask for forgiveness then permission!

Offline Bleys

  • Member
  • Posts: 1435
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 11:44:45 PM »
Smoke screen attacks and feints are a tactic. 100 hour attacks filling the screen with spam are not.

Figure it out, man, seriously.

And no, I dont think you "get" this game at all, given the amount of time you seem to waste on this kind of garbage, while the "higher ranked" players just keep farming.

And yes, New Hope is a farm alliance. Prove me wrong, seriously, I enjoy a challenge in this game. I play for rank and "golf-shot" type hits. I launch for profit, not for some lame spite crap. I dont waste hours and hours with nonsense that doenst make me a speck of res. Thats why my 3 hours a day playing are more productive than your 10 hours a day.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Brute Force, if its not working, you\'re just not using enough.

Remember kids, fleetsaving wastes Hydro!

Offline mmulder67

  • Member
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 11:56:53 PM »
Quote from: "Bleys"
Smoke screen attacks and feints are a tactic. 100 hour attacks filling the screen with spam are not.

Figure it out, man, seriously.

And no, I dont think you "get" this game at all, given the amount of time you seem to waste on this kind of garbage, while the "higher ranked" players just keep farming.

And yes, New Hope is a farm alliance. Prove me wrong, seriously, I enjoy a challenge in this game. I play for rank and "golf-shot" type hits. I launch for profit, not for some lame spite crap. I dont waste hours and hours with nonsense that doenst make me a speck of res. Thats why my 3 hours a day playing are more productive than your 10 hours a day.

You don't know as much as you think you know.
Farm alliance? Good luck with that attitude.
I doubt you only played "3 hours a day" when you started so don't try that bull with me. Not everyone has been playing this game since it started.
Of course when your levels are so high you can accomplish more in 3 hours then the majority of other players can accomplish in 10, you get to be a jerk... :roll:
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
I\'d rather ask for forgiveness then permission!

Offline Ziggyny

  • Member
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 11:58:55 PM »
But Redman, you're in Lords, not New Hope..
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Bleys

  • Member
  • Posts: 1435
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 12:21:07 AM »
Quote from: "mmulder67"
You don't know as much as you think you know.
Farm alliance? Good luck with that attitude.
I doubt you only played "3 hours a day" when you started so don't try that bull with me. Not everyone has been playing this game since it started.
Of course when your levels are so high you can accomplish more in 3 hours then the majority of other players can accomplish in 10, you get to be a jerk... :roll:
I do only "play" 3 hours a day, less most days, in fact. So far, since we started this chit-chat, I have washed dishes, took a shower, shaved, now I am at my GFs, she just got out of work and picked me up. I also took my grandson for a walk, did a bunch of laundry, and went to the store for some things. Thats just today.

And no, when I first started playing this game, or rather, the one this version was copied from, called O-Game, I didnt play just 3 hours a day. But after 5 years or so, it kind of becomes 2nd nature. I have a top 10 account in a 2x speed Uni there, I broke the top 10 before OSFC even came out, so it would not be wise to underestimate me. I am just too bored to play it hardcore anymore, although folks like you make it fun.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Brute Force, if its not working, you\'re just not using enough.

Remember kids, fleetsaving wastes Hydro!

Offline mmulder67

  • Member
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 01:01:25 AM »
Quote from: "Bleys"
Quote from: "mmulder67"
You don't know as much as you think you know.
Farm alliance? Good luck with that attitude.
I doubt you only played "3 hours a day" when you started so don't try that bull with me. Not everyone has been playing this game since it started.
Of course when your levels are so high you can accomplish more in 3 hours then the majority of other players can accomplish in 10, you get to be a jerk... :roll:
I do only "play" 3 hours a day, less most days, in fact. So far, since we started this chit-chat, I have washed dishes, took a shower, shaved, now I am at my GFs, she just got out of work and picked me up. I also took my grandson for a walk, did a bunch of laundry, and went to the store for some things. Thats just today.

And no, when I first started playing this game, or rather, the one this version was copied from, called O-Game, I didnt play just 3 hours a day. But after 5 years or so, it kind of becomes 2nd nature. I have a top 10 account in a 2x speed Uni there, I broke the top 10 before OSFC even came out, so it would not be wise to underestimate me. I am just too bored to play it hardcore anymore, although folks like you make it fun.

After only 4 weeks of this game I've moved up quite a bit.
After 5 years I doubt anyone will be an "annoyance" to me either.
I follow the cardinal "rules" of this game and have been hit only once when I overslept on my day off and didn't F/R save for long enough.
Have had many high ranking players probe and when they see nothing there they continue on.
The issue is when one high ranking player sits on a lower one continuously waiting for them to make an error.
That's not gamesmanship that's just petty.
Today I weeded and rototilled my garden, went to the phone store and paid my bill, picked up my daughter from school, cooked dinner (lasagna even :D ), showered too, and still had time for this game.
I did F/R save every time I left.
Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
I\'d rather ask for forgiveness then permission!

Offline Bleys

  • Member
  • Posts: 1435
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 01:10:04 AM »
Quote from: "mmulder67"
Have had many high ranking players probe and when they see nothing there they continue on.
The issue is when one high ranking player sits on a lower one continuously waiting for them to make an error.
I agree with you on both counts. As I have said before, I probably probe a couple hundred planets a day, but only attack a couple dozen, tops, counting inactives I just farm with free slots. If you cant figure out how to be an espy report I "blow" by, then you will likely struggle.

As for the second part, its not that hard to discourage that type of behavior. Move your fleet to another area, build up another planet with it, ship all the res there, etc. Lots of ways to make high ranked players decide to look for easier targets.

Personally, I dont "hunt" hard much, although I probe a lot. Still so many fish in the barrel that it doesnt make sense to row out into the lake.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Brute Force, if its not working, you\'re just not using enough.

Remember kids, fleetsaving wastes Hydro!

Offline AbsolutZero

  • Member
  • Posts: 475
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 06:00:36 AM »
Quote from: "Bleys"
Smoke screen attacks and feints are a tactic. 100 hour attacks filling the screen with spam are not.

Figure it out, man, seriously.

And no, I dont think you "get" this game at all, given the amount of time you seem to waste on this kind of garbage, while the "higher ranked" players just keep farming.

And yes, New Hope is a farm alliance. Prove me wrong, seriously, I enjoy a challenge in this game. I play for rank and "golf-shot" type hits. I launch for profit, not for some lame spite crap. I dont waste hours and hours with nonsense that doenst make me a speck of res. Thats why my 3 hours a day playing are more productive than your 10 hours a day.

I have attacked over 40 A New Hope members over the last 2 weeks...just out and about (since I'm not NAPs with them anymore)...not even a hint of retaliation. One guy sent a huge attack back at me to "scare" me from probing him. I fleet/resource saved everything but my probes...then probed him 25 times in a row.

Good times, that A New Hope alliance.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
I was the 426,882 player to get an Athena, the 416,390 player to get a hades and the 222,716 person to get a Prometheus! Bow before my awesomeness!

Offline Niles Grey

  • Member
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 05:45:13 PM »
Quote from: "the420penguin"
Like a player who "doesnt have time to play so they dont care about fleet spots' tieing up 9 spots to harass me and still has free time in their busy notgame playing life to come and post on the forums

i mean if you can't see the motives and smell the bull s*** then close your mouth and dont respond =D

Simple point of fact, I don't have a lot of time, about 1 hour per day to do things on SFCE, maybe 2 spread consistently throughout a day.  Now I initiated a series of attacks, set at 10% speed to act as a smoke screen, for an operation my alliance undertook to attack every world he had, if no one attacked that wasn't my fault.  I set it up to assist and set the times to rediculously long because I saw no sense in throwing my ships away in an attack I knew I couldn't win.  You want to know the sad part, I would have used a combat ship if I had any to spare, but I used them to do the daily missions available to me.  No I don't have time to play, but I tried to help my alliance, I'm not saying that it did any good, but I tried to help.  

Now for information purposes I'd like to post the Blue Frog Response I recieved from The420's petition of my action: "Slow attacks are considered a form of harassment. Please refrain from doing this in the future. Blue Frog Gaming Support".  That said any attack on my worlds at less then 100% speed will be petitioned to blue frog until they either eliminate the ability to adjust speed, or decide to recognize the tactical and strategic value of variable speed attacks.

Yeah I can hop on a forum and write a 4 minute post reply in between running a couple missions, or while I step outside for a smoke break, I assume that most people can, and if you know a little something you can even get the forum to let you know when a post is made, and oh look I can read the reply from my phone. :D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:56:59 PM by Niles Grey »

Offline Bleys

  • Member
  • Posts: 1435
    • View Profile
Re: Slow attack when is it strategic?
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »
Quote from: "Niles Grey"
Now for information purposes I'd like to post the Blue Frog Response I recieved from The420's petition of my action: "Slow attacks are considered a form of harassment. Please refrain from doing this in the future. Blue Frog Gaming Support".
I happen to agree with BFG. Even as a smoke-screen, more than a couple is harassing, IMHO. Sending up a few false attacks, ok, you can see if the guy is online, you can sort of "mask" your main attack, but come on, this could get to RIDICULOUS porportions, with fleet-lists 30+ missions long of single recyclers. Not a tactic, IMHO, but manipulation of a game mechanic in a negative way. Trying to force a guy to scroll through dozens of attacks every time he changes screens just isnt good gameing to me. Study and hit him, get a moon by him and oracle, whatever, but this ... spam != good tactics.

And it would seem BFG agrees.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Brute Force, if its not working, you\'re just not using enough.

Remember kids, fleetsaving wastes Hydro!