contact
February 26, 2020, 06:01:04 AM

Author Topic: New Limits on the Group Attack and Defend  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
New Limits on the Group Attack and Defend
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:58:50 PM »
New LIMITS on Group Attack/Defend

The number of players that can participate in a Group Attack or Group Defense has been changed.

A maximum of 6 fleets may participate in a Group Attack.
A maximum of 6 fleets may participate in a Group Defend (this does not include what is already on the planet).

Blue Frog Gaming

Let's discuss.

(edit to add: )
I've tested the "new feature" recently (in the last 2 hours).  It's actually 7 fleets, not 6.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 03:30:31 PM by Vanessa »

Offline bryn987

• View Profile
Re: New Limits on the Group Attack and Defend
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:00:40 PM »
6 is not that much.  That takes away from the epic battles that includes armadas.  Must be due to server limits.  At least they are the same for defenders and attackers

The 16 fleet number that was thrown around earlier had a much better ring to it
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
To be free, you must be exiled!

1/18/2010 - 10/22/2011
Players sent to d status/retirement - 32
Solo Zeus kills - 33
Solo Heph kills - 3
Moons given  -  31

Offline Aaria.moon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
It was 15 in a group attack last I saw.

I like the limits, keeps things more on an even keel. Makes for better planning imo.
HONEYBEE MALES: DURING COPULATION THEIR BODY EXPLODES APART LIKE GRENADE; GENITALIA HAS HOOKS AND SPINES AND IT WEDGES INTO FEMALE AND SEALS HER OPENING.

Offline Badrash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:08:34 PM »
It will definitely change the way some moon shots were occurring.  And the way some people invite others to battles/defends.

I think this could be a large issue with trapping though and gives the attacker more power.  If the defender only has enough time to muster local help for a defend, he may have to rely on multiple small defenders, where as the attacking force in a trap will be more prepared and already have their big guns lined up.

I think the defending number should be double the attacker, simply because there will generally be less time to react.

More death and destruction caused by the Oracle.

Offline Aaria.moon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
Badrash, HUSH! ;)
HONEYBEE MALES: DURING COPULATION THEIR BODY EXPLODES APART LIKE GRENADE; GENITALIA HAS HOOKS AND SPINES AND IT WEDGES INTO FEMALE AND SEALS HER OPENING.

Offline bulldogbreed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:59:12 PM »
Killed it for mass battles. The UF6/Maquis FU/NoFat battle was going to be epic, now organising attacks and defends will be based on who has the biggest and best fleets thus giving smaller/new players joining alliances less combat experience. Really disappointed with the limits.
Maquis and Proud of it

Offline Asrrin29

• View Profile
    • http://www.athrandironline.com
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
very disappointed with this.  Now there number 1 player has a way to no longer be threatened for top spot.  if he can get a fleet bigger than the top 6 other people, he has nothing to fear, were as before, 10 or 20 people could take him out.  I am NOT in favor of this.
GIVE ME HARVEST MISSIONS OR GIVE ME RECALLS!

Offline mad max

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »
Another SHORTSIGHTED change by BFG.

I assume they have battles being processed by a separate server. So they should be able to calculate larger battles at the cost of time (minutes instead of seconds). With these limits it, makes me believe someone on their development team FUBAR'd their system architecture or doesn’t know how to design properly threaded applications. What will happen when 10’s of thousands of ships from each player are involved (this is not that far away), are they going to put limits on the number of ships in a group attack or reduce the number of participants again?

This is very disappointing. I hope that it is only temporary change and they fix the Battle Sim.

Offline Munchy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:35:44 PM »
I don't like it..but I understand why they did it.

Contrary to most other updates, I doubt even the game developers wanted to do this..but if it is for sever reasons, I understand.

But I hope it was just the number of people causing issues then. Because if it was just the number of ships in a battle..then this would just be a stop-gap, right? Because an epic battle now that would contain ships from 20 people may be an average battle later from 10.  ;)

edit: basically the same idea as they guy above me...

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 08:42:34 PM »
Quote from: "Aaria.moon"
It was 15 in a group attack last I saw.

That's the same limit I saw this morning  (I had the option to join both a real group attack and a moonshot).  15-or-so was the limit for group attacks.  I actually saw a message that said "there's too many participants".

I think it's 15-or-so for group defends as well.  I've certainly joined defends with more than 8 people; I haven't seen a similar "too many participants" message in this case, however.

Quote from: "codename_B"
and removes ANY advantage that there might have been to being in a mass alliance
AND
Quote from: "bulldogbreed"
Killed it for mass battles. The UF6/Maquis FU/NoFat battle was going to be epic, now organising attacks and defends will be based on who has the biggest and best fleets thus giving smaller/new players joining alliances less combat experience. Really disappointed with the limits.

Agreed as well.  One of the "scare factors" that a 500-something alliance (like New Hope) could pose was having many members on a group attack or a group defend.

Now it's just 6.  And people have to be careful exactly who they ask to join ... don't want to "waste" a slot by having someone join with less ships when someone else could have joined with more.

Quote from: "FleetAdmiralSinclair"
.... What will happen when 10’s of thousands of ships from each player are involved (this is not that far away), are they going to put limits on the number of ships in a group attack or reduce the number of participants again?

This is very disappointing. I hope that it is only temporary change and they fix the Battle Sim.

That's my hope as well.

However ... there's also the possibility that it's not the BattleSim -- rather, it could be all the impending attacks.  Remember the recent rash of discussions over harrassment-via-slow-attacks?  Perhaps *THAT* is gummying up the server...

... and if that's true, I'm very disappointed at this "band-aid" solution.

Vastet

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »
While appreciating the tactical intrigue this adds to the game, I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to get the #1^6 fleet. That could take awhile.

Supreme Commander Vastet
The Valkethian Federation
Valketh

Offline The Last Horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
6 is way too little, ok if you have 12 oif the biggest people in the game it will screw the server up but out in the later galaxies what if rank 30 fleeter moves there..... there is not enough forces from any 6 people out there to take out his fleet which makes it impossible. Major failure from BFG. -1
A Few of the many names i am called
Pirate King Paul
Darth Paulidius
Quote from: \"BrianC\"
DP, Destroyer of Humanity.

Zeus Kills: 1
Moons Given: 4(2 inactives)
Moons Owned: 2
Moons Abandoned:3
OVerall rank 20
Destroyed ships rank 10

Offline mad max

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 09:57:19 PM »
Quote from: "The Last Horizon"
... what if rank 30 fleeter moves there..... there is not enough forces from any 6 people out there to take out his fleet which makes it impossible. Major failure from BFG. -1

Well I would second that and add that even a top 200 fleeter would be near unstopable.

Offline Aaria.moon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 10:03:16 PM »
Top 200 was nothing when you had friends. I was ranked 2k in original with only a few friends around. I was organizing 10 million DF hits when I had only 100 dios.

Though now that isn't workable with these numbers. 15 was great, and I submitted a ticket for 15, but I see the reasoning behind it.

Offline bryn987

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »
What I find odd is they talk about the long game in regards to giving us the Hephaestus but then make group attacks limited to 6 fleets.

Players who stick around long enough to get a ship as massive as the Hephaestus will have a fleet big enough to cause issues that 6 normal fleets now can cause.

Why introduce a massive ship that is only viable for massive fleets but not allow a massive battle?
To be free, you must be exiled!

1/18/2010 - 10/22/2011
Players sent to d status/retirement - 32
Solo Zeus kills - 33
Solo Heph kills - 3
Moons given  -  31