contact
February 19, 2019, 02:53:04 AM

Author Topic: "I yield" Mode (Y)  (Read 1433 times)

Offline furemer

• View Profile
Re: "I yield" Mode (Y)
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »
I like that someone is seriously addressing the concern of why people are leaving.
For myself I admit I am basically inactive, having tried extreme no experience in the orginal, I dont have the time to play fox and hound.  However, I enjoy game design so for me the actual discussion is funner than the game proved to be.

So first a cool down period or safe period after being wiped out isnt a bad idea.   As in my personal experience I found that yes its possible for a group, possibly even a player to hit you continusiouly every few hours continually keeping you from building any resources up enough to build anything.  
Actaully I have encounted players that do so intentionally hoping the quiting players will leave their mines active and become free harvest points.  

A cool down would allow the player a chance to rebuild, reaccess his strategy maybe try something different.  
As for those players suggesting that they should still be able to attack the target as they already had ships in route? Ok so once triggered the buff allows no new attacks to be luanched but the existing fleets in route are given the option to continue or withdraw.  The buff timer beginns based upon the last attack.
As for the concern of lost hrydro? Considering you do not have to pay for any maintence cost to maintain your fleets? Or any repair costs on those ships even if damaged? Whinning about lost hyrdro is a joke, sorry.  
The buff should have a durational effect yes, the seven days is fine.  However it should also be tied to a build calculator, so that once a player rebuilds his fleet back to say 70% of its original strenth, no not 100%, the buff is removed, or if he hits his 7 days whichever comes first.  
Note this should encourage players to try to build fleets, becuase currently if I build a fleet.  It is literally just a pork chop around my head attracting all the higher ranking players, to attack with fleets that my guns can't even destroy a single frieghter.
So as it stands why would I ever build a fleet?  However, if I build a fleet and it gets massacred and I gain a 7 day to try  and tool up a couple techs and a chance to rebuild a large chunk of my fleet.  that gives me options and an encouragement to try.  And it also means the larger of my fleet the more likely I get my entire seven days.  

Of course there will be people that abuse this, aren't there always.  So make it so that anytime this happens too frequently, it raises a read flag for the the game moderators I assume they have some sort of GM that checks on potential violations.
If the GM decides that it was an intention repeated process both players get served up. Not banned but served up.  All their defenses and ships are treated as crippled. Unable to fire back for seven days.  Lets see how they fair when the rest of the sharks smell blood ?

Thx you for this discusion it gives me something to add to my own notes.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline ASM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 10:21:11 PM »
"As for the concern of lost hrydro? Considering you do not have to pay for any maintence cost to maintain your fleets? Or any repair costs on those ships even if damaged? Whinning about lost hyrdro is a joke, sorry."

I was not whining if you actually botherd to read what I had posted and as a self admitted newb I dont expect you to understand...but if I spend 150k-200 hydro on a attack/recyclers and it gets recalled thats BS..sure if someone your level spends 5k hydro no big deal but I am a big fleeter so it costs alot to move my fleet around or do atatcks.

Offline Daven

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »
Perhaps I need to define something as there seem to be different assumptions.

To trigger the proposed (Y) mode - I mean that a player has lost 60% or 70% of the resource value of all ships he has in the game - NOT that percentage of any single fleet he may have - no one should be able to set up a small fleet - only a fraction of his ships - and go crash them to trigger this mode.  That is why I consider having the trigger so low - players should not have all their ships in one basket.  The trigger point has to be low enough to be useful but high enough to avoid abuse

And if they use my definition of fleet smashed - then not sure why a fleeter would want to continue his attack that may be in process - as the fleets is gone - nothing left to hit.  But I understand the hydro loss issue - and perhaps that needs to be factored in.

Offline Oort

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 11:01:36 PM »
So here's what someone could do - They are going on vacation for a week, so the get a friend to leave their alliance and buddy list and hit them for all they are worth - or they send the vast majority of their fleet at said friend for moon shots. Then they get a week to build up resources while they are away.

Problem 2 - Someone has annoyed you for whatever reason and you've gotten into a personal war. You want this guy owned. You want him to know who dominated him. So you successfully destroy his fleet. But now you cannot reap the reward of farming his planets. He gets down time to rebuild - possibly at a faster rate then you can. You may have lost just as much as he did but not enough to trigger Y mode.

I like the idea of allowing BEATEN people to recover, but if they are yielding then it needs to be made public and the defeator needs to get something since they will be stymied from further attacks. When you yield it means that you acquiesce. You give in. You cry 'uncle'. It means that you lost. A form of resource tribute from the loser to the winner might be interesting, but I can see how that could easily be abused by friends. Maybe a public mark of domination? When you see the players planet in Y mode you can click on it and it will open a small dialog box that the victor is allowed to have written a small message. "This guy beaten for mindless nuking" or "Destroyed by the UF6 alliance" or "He fought bravely but victory was mine". Anything. Give them something like 256 characters. Let them be marked for that week.

If you yield so that you can go lick your wounds then something needs to be given to the victor.
Account SOLD for $440!
Transaction complete.

Offline verc

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 11:47:13 PM »
With the double mines, you shouldn't profit from getting your fleet destroyed. There are big turtles out there with lots of points invested in mines, buildings, etc - the indestructible pts - and just a small fleet. So conceivably, a miner with high twenties mines and a few hundred ships could have their entire fleet knocked out, and end up the week with much more than they lost.

As far as rewarding someone for fleet crashing, start the clock on (Y) mode, whenever it is selected, for 24 hrs. So you can bash for 24 hours, if that's your deal. Then (Y) mode, like toggling (d) mode, kicks off. Besides, if you recycle a fleet, you should have made profit. That's your reward right there.

Also, I'd say inactives cannot be targeted in (Y), but I don't think that's a big deal.

This (Y) mode, +1.

This could get alot of the (d) moders off the crapper.