contact
October 23, 2019, 06:34:58 AM

Author Topic: question about def  (Read 1289 times)

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
question about def
« on: April 06, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »
i am curious on how much def i should be building to keep those huge fleets away.

i have about 750k missile, 500 laser, 50 pulse particle and guass and 30 plasma. and frs pretty good so there might also be about 100 atlases and 5 dinos with no warehouses so that even if i miss there isn't more than 300k resources.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Rufus Griffin

• Oh, you outta time baby!
    • View Profile
Re: question about def
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:32:28 PM »
nothing will keep the huge fleets away except fleet/resource saving.
Phase 2
Extreme Universe 1
Peak:  #31, #17 DSP
Alliances: The Midnight Brethren, WHO

Extreme Universe 2
Peak:  #201, #97 DSP
Alliances:  NTA, xXx

Conquest
Alliance:  xXx

Tournament
I Am Meadowlark
Season 1
Alliance:  Haters

Darkwing Duck
Season 2
Alliance:  MM, xXx

Offline Andrade III

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »
The biggest fleet in the universe can probably squash your defenses without breaking a nail.  BUT as long as you don't have enough ships in orbit or res lying on the ground to be a profitable target, most people will waltz on by.  Remember, a huge fleet can hit you for fewer losses, it just costs them more hydro.
In my experience, people like ship kill points more than they like free resources, so save those fleets and you'll be fine with minimal defenses.
Today: War with the entire Universe.
Tomorrow: Disneyland!

Offline cybershubby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:01:01 PM »
Quote from: "Andrade III"
The biggest fleet in the universe can probably squash your defenses without breaking a nail.  BUT as long as you don't have enough ships in orbit or res lying on the ground to be a profitable target, most people will waltz on by.  Remember, a huge fleet can hit you for fewer losses, it just costs them more hydro.
In my experience, people like ship kill points more than they like free resources, so save those fleets and you'll be fine with minimal defenses.

+1
Finally out of hibernation, and boy it's getting thin on the ground in here......

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 01:16:18 PM »
well i just wasn't sure what was for profitable vs my lvl of def.

my over night production caps at 100k/100k/100k.

Offline Aaria.moon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 01:35:08 PM »
If you have decent defenses I'd avoid you. One plasma cannon for every 75k of overnight resources is enough to keep me away. But plasma cannons won't keep me away from your fleet if I can make a profit from them.
HONEYBEE MALES: DURING COPULATION THEIR BODY EXPLODES APART LIKE GRENADE; GENITALIA HAS HOOKS AND SPINES AND IT WEDGES INTO FEMALE AND SEALS HER OPENING.

Offline Ziggyny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »
You need enough defenses to be less profitable than your neighbours.

Offline samielb

• View Profile
    • http://www.twinwand.com
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 03:14:40 PM »
I have a ratio of defense that I go with.  I relate everything up to a plasma, and there are plenty of threads discussing defense ratios.

Anyway, I use 1 plasma for every 20K in total daily production.  With a daily production of 300K that would require a minimum of 15 plasma cannons, along with my other defenses aligned according to the ratio I use.
samielb

Quote from: \"Bravicus\"
Attacking people is lame.

probing is cool.

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 04:15:24 PM »
on snap i need 69.7 more plasmas then.

just a basic ratio is cool.  like for my fleets i tend to use 1:3:7 of hades athena artemis.  so would your def be about the same with plasma to guass to mb/lc?

Offline samielb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »
Check our the Defense thread.  LaggyNate puts in a suggested defense ratio, which I use something close, but I go a bit heavier on the pulse and particle cannons.
samielb

probing is cool.

Offline Sid82

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 03:16:30 AM »
also, you didn't mention them so I don't know whether you have them or not, but with that defense you really should have some ABMs otherwise, people can just send IPBMs to destroy your defenses before their attack hits
Quote from: \"LHDR\"
Quote from: \"Sid82\"
-1 don\'t need a reason other than this is a stupid idea
Quote from: \"LHDR\"
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds."~Albert Einstein
doesn\'t work when idea IS stupid
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8493

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »
i have 60 abm's  :o

Offline Bleys

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 06:44:10 PM »
I dont believe in defenses, especially if you are a fairly "active" player, meaning you can check your account a lot, even while not necessarily "playing". I prefer a more flexible, non-wasteful method of protection, a big fleet that I can keep secure on my schedule, a high rank gained from skilled use of said fleet, and a reputation for being a skilled player, and a gated moon. Not many will attack someone like me for some crappy overnight mining and some crashed sats, or they risk a return visit by me, if not an outright ninja.
Brute Force, if its not working, you\'re just not using enough.

Remember kids, fleetsaving wastes Hydro!

Offline Dan Scanndal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »
Yeah, no defense will keep a determined attacker at bay.  I personally have no issue sending every IPM that I own and then building more and sending a second wave to kill a large fleet.  But I won't look twice if I don't see ships sitting there.  The only effective defense is to keep your ships off the radar.  One of my alliancemates said it best.  "The most dangerous place for your ships to be is in your own orbit.  Never keep your ships in your own orbit.  Put them in someone else's orbit.  They're much safer there."
Alliance Leader of the Outcast Gods

Offline samielb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »
Quote from: "Dan Scanndal"
Yeah, no defense will keep a determined attacker at bay.  I personally have no issue sending every IPM that I own and then building more and sending a second wave to kill a large fleet.  But I won't look twice if I don't see ships sitting there.  The only effective defense is to keep your ships off the radar.  One of my alliancemates said it best.  "The most dangerous place for your ships to be is in your own orbit.  Never keep your ships in your own orbit.  Put them in someone else's orbit.  They're much safer there."

I guess I am just an oddball.  I am not concerned to much with destroying ships, unless someone leaves their fleet sitting around for several days, and no one else has bothered crashing it.

I set goals for myself on certail levels of research by certain times, and I am happy as long as I reach or exceed those goals.  To do that requires resources and I don't care if you are active or have a large fleet.  If you have more than 100K on a planet and there is and inadequate defense I will probably be visiting you.  

I have helped several people use their resources building IPBMs trying to destroy my defenses.  I just use their undefended resources to build more ABMs and strengthen my defense as necessary.
samielb

probing is cool.

birthmark-ant