contact
July 08, 2020, 10:46:53 PM

Author Topic: Return of the heph  (Read 5802 times)

Offline Aaria.moon

• View Profile
Re: Return of the heph
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2010, 02:52:22 AM »
:P Would be nice of them to leave the heph behind. they'd get to chase around an empty ship :P
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
HONEYBEE MALES: DURING COPULATION THEIR BODY EXPLODES APART LIKE GRENADE; GENITALIA HAS HOOKS AND SPINES AND IT WEDGES INTO FEMALE AND SEALS HER OPENING.

Offline furemer

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2010, 03:15:31 AM »
ok the first thing i would suggest is that hep should not take a colony slot, it should be treated like a moon able to orbit another planet....

2nd unless travel is by hyper space requiring both ends of the transit be stable fleets ssent out from the heph should only be lost if they cannot reach a freindly port if its destroyed

the heph should be upgradedable i.e. first stage its pretty much as is

next stage it has a mobile shipyard, level 1 that it can upgrade to any level
next stage it can build a foundry
next stage it can build a number of Pd's based on its ship + foundry size

something like 3 slots per rating
that way it can have some defenses but not infinite

Offline Cosmic fool

• View Profile
    • http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/The_Regulator_Alliance
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2010, 03:29:50 AM »
Quote from: "furemer"
ok the first thing i would suggest is that hep should not take a colony slot, it should be treated like a moon able to orbit another planet....

I like that idea at first thought, If you don't think about the fact that someone could park this above your planet and essentially have near instant attack times?

Or you could say that it can only orbit a planet that is inhabited by a friend or alliance member.
So now we just have to friend them first or join there alliance before we orbit the planet and disband and the assault begins.

Ok so maybe we shouldn't be able to orbit any populated world, but since the heph doesn't occupy the colony slot, someone could slip a colony ship in there and kick you out.

Okay so I guess then placing a colony wouldn't kick you out of the space, they would still now have a near instant attack time on you.

There is just no way to keep this well balanced.
There is no shame in being stupid, after all you can\'t climb a ladder without a bottom rung.

Offline furemer

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2010, 04:23:36 AM »
Quote from: "Cosmic fool"

I like that idea at first thought, If you don't think about the fact that someone could park this above your planet and essentially have near instant attack times?

Or you could say that it can only orbit a planet that is inhabited by a friend or alliance member.
So now we just have to friend them first or join there alliance before we orbit the planet and disband and the assault begins.

Ok so maybe we shouldn't be able to orbit any populated world, but since the heph doesn't occupy the colony slot, someone could slip a colony ship in there and kick you out.

Okay so I guess then placing a colony wouldn't kick you out of the space, they would still now have a near instant attack time on you.

There is just no way to keep this well balanced.

actaully i think that this could be very easily resolved  first the hep has to orbit either a non-claimed world or a world occuied by a alliance memeber
if a hep is orbiting a world it then that world cannot be colonized - if the hep tries to orbit a world in the process of being colonized it recieves the warning and is stopped

there fore no instant attack platform

or the heph can orbit any planet but while orbiting a planet that planet can target the hep with its nukes directly
in this scenario you start lobbing nukes and start messaging evryone in the galaxy where the hep is i think he'll decide to move

Offline kenneth

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2010, 05:04:38 AM »
Ok.. I am curious.. does anyone posting on this thread actually have a Heph??  

1st. ..  The speed change that BF made corrected a HUGE problem with the Heph.

2nd.. There are still tweeks that need to be made..  I love the idea of nukes and adjustable deployment times...

3rd.. Ships, Ships and more Ships..

Now.. for a lesson on how the Heph works and where the cost works for and against you..

Moving the Heph about 7 SS is 221K Hydro..    For my fleet to attack from that same distance is over 500K of hydro..  Within the SS it is around 120K..  Add to that the idea of quick turn arounds and you can see some of the benefit.

Offline kenneth

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2010, 05:12:46 AM »
What I have found is that it actually limits your playing time.   To correctly use the Heph you have to plan your attack day in advance.  No more putting out last minute fleets..  The idea is that you are making BIG hits from this platform..  YOU DO NOT MINE PLANETS .. LOL..  

So far.. my best hits are 25M debri and 20M debri...  both solo attacks and very upclose and personal...  

Now.. the advantage.. I don't have to worry about storage and not having enough cargo capacity to handle it all.  YOU DO NOT RETURN BACK TO your home SS.   That is a waste of Hydro and Time..  

Once you have a Heph.. you will figure out how to make the transfers.. :) :)

Vastet

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2010, 07:19:22 AM »
Noone will ever be able to fire enough nukes simultaneously in order to kill a HAP. I believe it was a level 62 Silo that would do the trick. I'd be shocked to see even a level 20 Silo.

Offline lee666

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2010, 01:24:51 PM »
id be shocked to see a silo past lvl 10 to be fair, seems a waste after lvl 5-6... but yeah as partly damaged defences instantly repair after being hit you would need every nuke to be launched from same planet in 1 go, and with over 8million hull would be impossible to take down with nukes, so no the option to fire nukes at hephs shouldnt be added...

Offline kenneth

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2010, 02:04:47 PM »
Interesting thought on being able to launch Nukes on a Heph..  Your right.. it's totally impossible to bring it down with Nukes..  Plus.. if you saw the nukes coming.. you could move the heph and then nothing.. That would be funny..  :) :)

Offline furemer

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2010, 02:07:48 PM »
Quote from: "kenneth"
Interesting thought on being able to launch Nukes on a Heph..  Your right.. it's totally impossible to bring it down with Nukes..  Plus.. if you saw the nukes coming.. you could move the heph and then nothing.. That would be funny..  :) :)

acatully if the heph had fleets out it would be funny if they actaully moved it
becuase if they move doesnt that cuase their fleets to go poof?

:?:

Offline lee666

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2010, 02:24:42 PM »
Quote from: "kenneth"

acatully if the heph had fleets out it would be funny if they actaully moved it
becuase if they move doesnt that cuase their fleets to go poof?

:?:

no it doesnt let you move it if you have fleets out, they only go poof if the heph is destroyed while there out

Offline Noops

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2010, 08:58:39 PM »
Quote from: "Daven"
Hept tactics have to be similar to those for a  Aircraft Carrior - you can only send part of the fleet out on attack missions - part has to ALWAYS stay home to protect the mother ship.

Hept has a unlimited fleet capacity - so this should not be a issue
If you can afford a Hept - you can afford a fleet of 5 to 10 Zeus  (or XXX proms, etc) to defend it -

But - I agree totally with it should be able to orbit home or colony planets and fleet save from that position.

An Aircraft Carrier is used because after the initial build it has low running costs because it's nuclear.  Personally I think that is how ships like this ought to be powered.  They use some resources but a nuclear reactor in a sub or an aircraft carrier isn't going to eat through "fuel" like a diesel shipping container cargo ship would.  We already have an "Energy Tech" level 11 is required for a Zeus, but nothing is required for a Heph.  Why can't it be powered by a reactor?  Have speed based on the output of said reactor (potential for pushing it beyond it's limits at the risk of failure and decreased efficiency.  110% would be moderately safe but only 107% efficient.  120% has a 5% chance for failure (which would leave you stranded and result in a loss of some ships, until repairs were made).  It would only be 114% efficient (that is only 14% faster than 100%).  Efficiency would be another research path.  At level 15 you have the ability to move from a fission reactor to a fusion reactor.  Fusion will greatly increase the efficiency while reducing total output.  A base level reactor would suck and be rather useless.

Offline Opti

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
I agree with Noops.. its silly to think that this planet-sized ship would be powered by the same fuel as everything else, it definitely should have some kind of reactor.

I still think it should have a built in 'solar sat' battery and hydro synth.

Offline lee666

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2010, 11:37:25 AM »
yep +1 to having its own generators

Offline God

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2010, 11:43:44 AM »
Yes I have two hephs and there has been NO change to it.  No idea what changes you are talking about.  It is maybe viable in original but still a joke in extreme.

birthmark-ant