contact
July 08, 2020, 10:00:31 PM

Author Topic: Just For Fun: Ships Crew Sizes  (Read 723 times)

Offline Jesus_Saves

• View Profile
    • http://shawntc.x10hosting.com
Just For Fun: Ships Crew Sizes
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:29:23 PM »
Taking a look at the ship images, I wonder how big their crew complements might be.

• Hermes and Helios: unmanned
  • Artemis and Apollo: 1 pilot, since they both seem to have cockpits.
  • Poseidon and Athena: looks like it could have a crew of a couple hundred.
  • Hades and Prometheus: definitely seem large enough that they could have thousands of crew members. The Prometheus is designed after aircraft carriers and I think a US carrier has something like 5,000 people.
  • Ares: actually strikes me as a small ship so maybe a couple hundred at most, more like a few dozen.
  • Zeus: I can see this having hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of people in it.
  • Hephaestus: Perhaps that shaft down the back of it includes the crew area. I can see thousands of people being technicians to maintain the on-board ships. But the huge majority of that ship's inside would be empty space.
  • Gaia: 1000 brave settlers, plus crew?
  • Dionysus and Atlas: maybe 5.
  • Hercules: 10-20, since extra crew is needed to accommodate for the multiple storage units.
  • Charon: an oddly tall ship, maybe 50 crew?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16

If you have any questions about the game, do not hesitate to ask me.

Zenventive: art, health, philosophy

Offline WereRabbit

• View Profile
Re: Just For Fun: Ships Crew Sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:05:45 PM »
The Ares looks a lot like Emperor Palpatine's ship from Star Wars.  In that case a crew of no more than a dozen.

A don't forget atlas.  Looking at other sci -fi movies and how they crew cargo ships, I'd say less than a dozen for this too.  I mean, look at how many people crewed that huge ship in Alien and it's main purpose was hauling cargo....granted that was more like  an oversized herc.

Offline Whisky12345

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:32:08 PM »
Quote from: "Jesus_Saves"
  • Charon: an oddly tall ship, maybe 50 crew?
I wouldn't have thought there'd be that many onboard...

50 crew for 6 passengers? That's four or five times the ratio of crew to passengers that a luxury ocean liner has.

I'd say it'd probably be a flight crew of 4 and another half dozen to look after the passengers... 10 max.

Offline Major Edwin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:13:43 PM »
Quote from: "WereRabbit"
The Ares looks a lot like Emperor Palpatine's ship from Star Wars.  In that case a crew of no more than a dozen.

I think It looks like a Y-wing bomber in star wars with something weird looking on top.
I envision a world without war and without hate.

And I can see us attacking that world because they wouldn\'t expect it. - Jack Handy

First person to have a Jack Handy quote in their signature. I claim it!

Offline VooWho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 04:55:12 PM »
All the ships in my fleet are "manned" by clever space-squirrels.
Voo.  Leader of the Corn Alliance.

Offline Opti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

Offline Capt Harlock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »
A US carrier has about 2000-2500 fulltime crew. The rest are from the AirWing that comes aboard for deployments.

Some of the ships have windows if you look at the full size images and from that you can kind of determine the scale of the ship.  An Atlas may be about 10 meters high by 30 x 50 meters.  A Hercules carries 5 times the Atlas so about 5x overall in size.

What I want to know is what type of ship is that infront of the Zeus in this image. (edit)

I have a peeve about the mission images, like the Raid Unguarded Crystal Mine shows an Atlas with a full container as big as the Atlas full of crystal, yet you only get ~70 crystal and not a full ~5000, the capacity of the Atlas.  Maybe some of it falls out on the way back. Same for the other mission images that show full loads.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:43:12 AM by Capt Harlock »
Capt Harlock

My Youth In Arcadia
An alliance for all free men who believe in fighting for Freedom

Offline WereRabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 06:40:13 PM »
hey opti, I don't think the pics are made to scale. some pics have artemis looking the same size as larger ships.

Offline Ekij

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »
Crew? what crew?

Ships all group together into fleets by computer control and fleets are controlled by AI tech.

No people used at all.
"No Moon - No fleet".   Oracles suck because they chage a fundamental concept of the game.

Offline Laggynate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 08:35:15 PM »
Quote from: "Ekij"
Crew? what crew?

Ships all group together into fleets by computer control and fleets are controlled by AI tech.

No people used at all.
It's true, the people are too busy slaving away in your mines and factories!
If I have closed a thread that you feel shouldn\'t have been, feel free to send me a pm.
[size=50]As of 10/1/2010 I was able to build Prometheus for the first time[/size]

Offline The Marmot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 08:39:50 PM »
Every time my wife tells me to take out the garbage I assign her to the Ore Mines.  Passive-aggressive, I know.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »
Quote from: "The Marmot"
Every time my wife tells me to take out the garbage I assign her to the Ore Mines.
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:                  
                        :geek:

I think the Dionysus could have a crew of 2 men, and any more seems unnecessary...(that is, going on the picture.)
And Poseidons also look very small to me(for some strange reason,) like it's about the size of the Charon, i.e., 10 men.

Now, the Prometheus (carrier?) could have thousands more crew than our current Naval Carriers, maybe some of whom fly those Apollo fighters seen landing on its deck. these are just my estimates though...

birthmark-ant