contact
July 08, 2020, 10:28:23 PM

Author Topic: Forward Deployed Bases (FDB)  (Read 710 times)

Offline Badrash

• View Profile
Forward Deployed Bases (FDB)
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
Often referred to as battle planets/colonies/attack bases, etc.

Add 2 (two) FDB slots to the planets list.  They work just like planets, except they have 0 fields.  You can not build anything on them.  No moon can be formed on them.

To save on coding/development issues/costs, simply add a new mission for the Gaia class ship to build an FDB instead of a colony.

I know the concern is that the Hap was designed to function in this capacity, but for 99.999% of players out there, they will NEVER be able to build the Hap until they have a HUGE fleet and a HUGE group of mines to support the movement of that fleet.  Give us the FDBs and then Buff Up the Hap when the time comes.)

We all use them and want them.  Please give them to us so we can compete with the miners for the endgame.

FYI, I'm open to giving all FDB a Nerf'd Oracle Lvl 1 (non-upgradeable) to make things very interesting :)  Perhaps only give it access to attack missions with its scan...
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline lee666

• View Profile
Re: Forward Deployed Bases (FDB)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »
you relise oracle lvl 1 only works in the same system? think lvl 2-3 would be better, still be very low range but atleast get afew systems out...

i think this would be a far better system than them... but then again everyone knows my view on heps  :mrgreen:

Offline lee666

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »
they would need a far better name than FDB tho  :lol:

Offline Badrash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:31:09 PM »
Its an attack colony.  I deployed it there to attack YOU!  I'm in your system, I should be able to see what you are doing by just plopping out the telescope!  So Oracle 1 is fine I think.  Any more and I think its too unbalancing.  If you want to walk down a few systems to be able and oracle them as well, hey, thats why you have 2 FDBs.

And yes, it needs a better name.

Offline Cosmic fool

• View Profile
    • http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/The_Regulator_Alliance
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:34:08 PM »
or we could just ask for 2 more planet slots??
There is no shame in being stupid, after all you can\'t climb a ladder without a bottom rung.

Offline verc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 06:42:37 PM »
Yes, please, 2 more planet slots! +1000 to both!

Offline Ekij

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »

Nine is enough
"No Moon - No fleet".   Oracles suck because they chage a fundamental concept of the game.

Offline lee666

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:36:06 PM »
Quote from: "Badrash"
Its an attack colony.  I deployed it there to attack YOU!  I'm in your system, I should be able to see what you are doing by just plopping out the telescope!  So Oracle 1 is fine I think.  

what if the systems full? what if you dont know which system his homeworld is in and hes spread between afew systems :P but yeah thinking about it if everyone is going to have 2 then cant make them too good...

Quote from: "Cosmic fool"
or we could just ask for 2 more planet slots??

id be open to the idea :P as the game grows why not the planet limits...

Offline Cosmic fool

• View Profile
    • http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/The_Regulator_Alliance
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 09:43:43 PM »
:shock: Umm I was only joking...  9 is good... it really might as well be 10 with the hep already, not counting moons
There is no shame in being stupid, after all you can\'t climb a ladder without a bottom rung.

Offline poeticmotion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »
I think 9 colonies is enough. I have trouble managing 9 as is.

The FDB's a good idea; the Hephaestus is useless IMO. Fleetsaving difficulty; big target, and the fact that you still have to send your profits to your nearest colony to use them and the Hephaestus can't move or fleetsave while Hercs haul your winnings God knows how many Gs away...

Give the big H an integral level 9 shipyard (non-upgradable, non-worker-able) and it would be a far better ship. Or allow it to send cargo deploys and still move.
Uni2-PoeticMotion[ODB] Peak rank 24 peak DSP rank 9 ***RETIRED FROM SFC***

Offline Dampaq.Pale.Horseman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 12:47:56 AM »
The Hep is fine as it is, if you use it right, think of it as a long range supply ship, your fleets are 5 - 10 galaxies away from your shipyards and research

You fill the thing up with resources from your fleet

Send it back over a 2 week flight, build more fleet when it arrives etc.. then send it to meet up with your fleet 2 weeks down the line, and repeat this process..

used this way it is perfect, and cannot be hit...
Death[/b], and his Hades followed with him.[/color]

Offline darkset

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 02:53:52 AM »
i love this idea +1

Offline Opti

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 08:45:50 AM »
Quote from: "Dampaq.Pale.Horseman"
The Hep is fine as it is, if you use it right, think of it as a long range supply ship, your fleets are 5 - 10 galaxies away from your shipyards and research

Send it back over a 2 week flight, build more fleet when it arrives etc.. then send it to meet up with your fleet 2 weeks down the line, and repeat this process..

That doesn't prove the heph is useful its just finding an excuse to use it effectivly, and im not even sure that hat is, if you send any fleet on 10% (still faster then heph) it needs to be something crazy like 3000 battleships before its cheaper. And if you use hercs instead of heph they can be used for raiding also, dual purpose. You would not spend 50 million resources on a transport.

I think this idea is great, the hepha has been a big let down but these attack bases would really encourage some more active gameplay.

Offline Dampaq.Pale.Horseman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »
Quote from: "Opti"
Quote from: "Dampaq.Pale.Horseman"

That doesn't prove the heph is useful its just finding an excuse to use it effectivly, and im not even sure that hat is, if you send any fleet on 10% (still faster then heph) it needs to be something crazy like 3000 battleships before its cheaper. And if you use hercs instead of heph they can be used for raiding also, dual purpose. You would not spend 50 million resources on a transport.

I think this idea is great, the hepha has been a big let down but these attack bases would really encourage some more active gameplay.

If you're not pulling down 1.000.000.000 in resources per month then the Hep is pointless..

It's not an excuse, it is the most effective use for it, if you want to use it as an attack colony, then don't hope to keep it or your fleet..
Death[/b], and his Hades followed with him.[/color]

Offline Opti

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »
I see it as a use but not an effective one.