contact
November 11, 2019, 07:25:44 PM

Poll

Should people be allowed to put (i) or (id) after their name?

yes
39 (46.4%)
no
45 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: April 14, 2010, 07:59:05 PM

Author Topic: People naming their accounts with (i) or (id) after the name  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Sid82

• View Profile
Re: People naming their accounts with (i) or (id) after the name
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2010, 09:46:47 PM »
Quote from: "Vastet"
Quote from: "Sid82"
you are funny, by the 8th grade I had a reading comprehension of 12.9 grade level.

Good for you. I had a university level in grade 4.

..hasn't gone down any in the 11 years since I got out of school thank you...I always had highest marks in my english and lit classes....maybe you should go back to school and actually ask an english teacher. just because you chose to word a sentence wrong doesn't mean someone else failed to comprehend it the way it was written, just means you need to work on your sentence structure better.

Except you are quite mistaken that the words aren't interchangable for the purposes of my sentence. I didn't include any terminology to allow for people to be in the negative position, but you inferred that I did somehow. I'd have had to say something like "just because you think something is wrong doesn't mean anyone at all could agree with you" in order to accomplish the effect you're seeing, or something close to it anyway. The way I phrased it merely says that not everyone necessarily agrees with you. I don't know how you could possibly read it any differently, let alone somehow see me suggesting that people wouldn't or don't. You're making a poor judgement on my intellect and a failure in reading comprehension at the same time to suggest that I said what you're suggesting.

..but then again, we are not in school otherwise I would definitely need to work on my sentence structure...I don't bother on-line so maybe you are the same way, now, to get back to the topic. as I have stated abusing a game mechanic should always be illegal, otherwise there would be much more harmful game mechanics that could be abused and who would be the one to say that it crossed a line?

I don't see any abuse of a game mechanic. For every colourblind person who can't see the colour, there's someone like me who is even more interested in the target than they would have otherwise been.
And as another has said, you can easily look up the person on the scoreboard to see if that (i) is real or not, meaning that only the lazy AND colourblind are affected by this at all.

I think my intelligence is going down just reading that nonsense. by the way you phrased your sentence it gives the implication that you think nobody would agree...enough about that, I will not post another thing about that because it is NOT the topic at hand.

You don't see any abuse of a game mechanic?  how could you possibly disagree that it is an abuse of the game mechanic?  the game mechanics make an (i) show up beside your name after you have not logged in for 7 days, by changing your name to add the (i) you are subverting the games mechanics causing the (i) to show up, that is clearly defined as abuse of game mechanics. I'm not saying that many people would be hurt by it, I am saying if you allow one abuse of game mechanics where do you draw the line?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Quote from: \"LHDR\"
Quote from: \"Sid82\"
-1 don\'t need a reason other than this is a stupid idea
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds."~Albert Einstein
doesn\'t work when idea IS stupid
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8493

Vastet

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »
I think my intelligence is going down just reading that nonsense.

Impossible. :)

by the way you phrased your sentence it gives the implication that you think nobody would agree.

Wrong. You inferred something that doesn't exist, end of story.

..enough about that, I will not post another thing about that because it is NOT the topic at hand.

We'll see.

You don't see any abuse of a game mechanic?  how could you possibly disagree that it is an abuse of the game mechanic?  the game mechanics make an (i) show up beside your name after you have not logged in for 7 days, by changing your name to add the (i) you are subverting the games mechanics causing the (i) to show up, that is clearly defined as abuse of game mechanics. I'm not saying that many people would be hurt by it, I am saying if you allow one abuse of game mechanics where do you draw the line?

But it isn't truly an abuse.
1: The only stipulations on planet names are that they should not be offensive.
2: Because it's easily countered. 75+% of people (I'm not rescanning the thread to find whoever posted the average colourblind statistics, if anyone did) don't even have to try to counter it in order to counter it. The rest can find out in 10 seconds whether it's real or not. Less time than it takes to scan through someones planets to see if any are active.
3: Whenever these people ARE online, their subterfuge becomes transparent and obvious even to those who can't tell yellow from white.

Offline Joseph Zeug

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2010, 09:56:04 PM »
I will say this...if BFG DOES agree to this, then BFG then needs to refund 20k in credits to all of the people who chose to change their name with an (i), (I), (id), or (Id) at the end of their name because they can't have it.  As long as my name I choose isn't considered offensive or derogatory, then I should be able to have it.

As for the people who are colorblind playing this game, while I have a sympathy toward them, I've seen people who are not colorblind be just as dumb and get caught because their too much in a rush or too stupid to catch someone and not bother to even espionage and send their whole fleet to crush someone only to have our alliance group defend a person and they lost their entire fleet for being stupid.

Either the rule is for everyone not to have it, or make it allowable for everyone to change their name to whatever they want within reason, including adding (i), (I), (id), or (Id) at the end of their name.

Offline Sid82

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2010, 10:09:30 PM »
you can't legislate stupidity, but you can legislate against the abuse of game mechanics, doesn't matter if it is easily countered, all that matters is that you are using a game mechanic against the way it was intended to be used and that IS abusing game mechanics...as to the refunding of the credits, I really don't care if they do that...but if they are going to allow some game mechanics to be abused then they need to allow all game mechanics to be abused, and if they are going to disallow certain game mechanics to be abused then they need to disallow all game mechanics to be abused.
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds."~Albert Einstein
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8493

Offline cseraphine

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2010, 01:42:11 AM »
Why not simply reverse the player rank and the flags in the display, or give flags their own column in the table?

Offline Victor Doom

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2010, 02:05:50 AM »
:evil: It's actually a simple fix.. change the way inactives are displayed... a simple flag besides the (in).. something different..

:evil: I think if BF is going to at least pretend to be professional they need to address this.. there's enough challenges in life being color blind I don't think BF should add any more.. I'm sure it was unintentional and they probably weren't aware when they copied and pasted the program that some of these issues might crop up.. however.. since they own it and run it now it's a form of professional curtesy that they should think of the people with colorblindness... just a thought...
"Meeting me might have been the most devastating and traumatic focal point of your entire life... For me... It was Tuesday..."

Offline Ziggyny

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2010, 04:31:50 PM »
by the way you phrased your sentence it gives the implication that you think nobody would agree.

Wrong. You inferred something that doesn't exist, end of story.

I read it the exact same way. While your statement is vacuously true it doesn't actually mean anything at all without the implication Sid is associating with it. You can say his implication has no basis but then your statement doesn't either.

2: Because it's easily countered. 75+% of people (I'm not rescanning the thread to find whoever posted the average colourblind statistics, if anyone did) don't even have to try to counter it in order to counter it. The rest can find out in 10 seconds whether it's real or not. Less time than it takes to scan through someones planets to see if any are active.
3: Whenever these people ARE online, their subterfuge becomes transparent and obvious even to those who can't tell yellow from white.

I love how you're claiming it's "easily countered" and that only the lazy colourblind people won't counter it when the "easy counter" is non-intuitive and highly disruptive to the user. When would you ever click into a ranking system and search down to the user in order to see if part of their name is clickable? How can you possibly take the stance that it's acceptable to force some people to do this to achieve the same game effect of others?

Banning the names themselves seems extreme but I can't see how anyone could object to a system where colour wasn't the only determining factor used. A 'colour blind' GUI with different symbols for the flags would work. So would a seperate column for flags. Or changing the order the information is provided in.

People being online or not actually reveals _nothing_ about their subterfuge when they're doing it to user names and not planet names. Inactives often have activity marks because they get probed all the time.

Offline Ryant454

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
I've read quite a few of the posts here.  You all forget one thing that BFG made color schemes for a reason.  They tell me they will continue to allow this and all I foresee is misuse of this game mechanic by more and more people as time goes by.  People who know it's wrong and want to use it are continuing to say yes to it because they want to do it themselves or are doing it.  I admit that I can see the difference in colors but I have spent a lifetime not noticing things such as this, we all just have to be careful!

Offline DEMON KNIGHT

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2010, 06:00:26 PM »
O.k. there's a solution to the people that are using these tactics.

RAID, FARM,  SMASH....   REPEAT....

Any Questions??????

I didn't think so.  If you know and see someone using it make them a primary target.  If they get stupid and ask why you keep attacking them then tell them to grow up use a real name and you'll move on.  If they want to act like they are 3 years old and think they are cute for doing so then want to cry about being spanked spank em some more till the message gets through.

Offline Sid82

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2010, 11:23:38 PM »
Quote from: "DEMON KNIGHT"
O.k. there's a solution to the people that are using these tactics.

RAID, FARM,  SMASH....   REPEAT....

Any Questions??????

I didn't think so.  If you know and see someone using it make them a primary target.  If they get stupid and ask why you keep attacking them then tell them to grow up use a real name and you'll move on.  If they want to act like they are 3 years old and think they are cute for doing so then want to cry about being spanked spank em some more till the message gets through.

then they can report you...telling them to change their name to get you to stop attacking them would be under the form of extortion...you would have to word it differently
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8493

Offline bethanylee

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2010, 12:52:01 AM »
How easy/difficult is it to do?  You could a few different combos to check for such as (i), (in), (idn) etc etc.

If it's easy, why not.  In world of warcraft, there are a number of strings that cannot be used as a name such as "king".

Vastet

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2010, 06:07:18 AM »
"I read it the exact same way."

Good for you. You can infer things not implied too. Want a medal?

"I love how you're claiming it's "easily countered" and that only the lazy colourblind people won't counter it when the "easy counter" is non-intuitive and highly disruptive to the user. When would you ever click into a ranking system and search down to the user in order to see if part of their name is clickable?"

How about when I'm colour blind and don't expect the world to revolve around me?

Vastet

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2010, 06:36:12 AM »
Absolute proof only lazy people can be caught by this:

Planet Demolition (*) [] has:
RESOURCES:
* ore: 79,985
* crystal: 40,940
* hydrogen: 10,462

It shows up on the espionage report.

/thread

Offline Sid82

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2010, 12:19:36 PM »
Absolute proof only lazy people can be caught by this:

Planet Demolition (*) [] has:
RESOURCES:
* ore: 79,985
* crystal: 40,940
* hydrogen: 10,462

It shows up on the espionage report.

/thread

you aren't getting it, it isn't about who would be caught by it, it is about the fact that it is abusing a game mechanic
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8493

Offline commander knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »
i agree with first post. People should just learn to play straight up without any deceiving strategies. Those of you who commented that it is funny and shouldn't be an issue, are probably the ones that do other things just as underhanded. But just remember, the people that have to use these tactics will struggle the entire game to be in the top 10 and will never reach that goal. Grow up and play straight up. True winners don't have to do such things. Not impressed. and whoever doesn't like my opinion can hurl insults and laughs and all that jazz, but i doubt that anyone cares about your opinion as much as you care about mine.

birthmark-ant