contact
February 26, 2020, 06:19:51 AM

Author Topic: Oracle can scan (n) (N)  (Read 557 times)

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
Oracle can scan (n) (N)
« on: April 26, 2010, 08:18:51 PM »
A friend of mine is working on a tutorial on how the Oracle works, so he's been taking a lot of screenshots and showing me stuff.

As I was looking through the galaxy screenshots, I noticed that he can scan planets that are (n) (lower-newbie protection) and planets that are (N) (higher-newbie protection).

... oh, and yes, my friend is still under 5000 build points.  And he's in extreme.

Anyway, I was thinking about the implications of this ... it would mean that a player under newbie protection (under 5000 build points) can act as scanner against high-level players (ie, those above 25000 build points), and essentially act as coordinator for his alliance mates and buddies.  And while he wouldn't be able to give too exact of a coordinated strike; it's better than nothing.

It's almost like letting the diplomacy mode players use the Oracle on non-Diplomacy-mode players.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline bryn987

• View Profile
Re: Oracle can scan (n) (N)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:23:41 PM »
I seriously doubt a newbie will have an oracle tbh
To be free, you must be exiled!

1/18/2010 - 10/22/2011
Players sent to d status/retirement - 32
Solo Zeus kills - 33
Solo Heph kills - 3
Moons given  -  31

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
Well, this particular friend is under 5000 build points -- so as far as I'm concerned, since he's in "Newbie Protection", then he's a newbie.

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:26:39 PM »
hey guys i play all day every day just to scan for other people.

i can do 17 scans a week my lvl 5 hydro mines take forever to make 5k hydro.

and my scan ranges is from xx:4:xx - xx:20:xx

Offline poeticmotion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:26:45 PM »
Well,an alliance could do the following:

1. Player sends Artemis moonshot at newb (a few hundred build points)

2. Second player sends group defend fleet to take it out.

3. Repeat until newb gets moon.

4. Send resources to noob to build high-level oracle.

5. Feed hydro to noob to run oracle.

6. Noob is attack-proof, but can feed scans to his alliance.
Uni2-PoeticMotion[ODB] Peak rank 24 peak DSP rank 9 ***RETIRED FROM SFC***

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 12:40:59 AM »
I've actually heard that a player with an Oracle can scan someone while they're in (d), but I don't have one and can't confirm it.
Zeus\' killed: 2
Moons given: 2

Retired player

Peak rank: #147
Rank after quitting: ~1300

Offline Sid82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 12:46:16 AM »
Quote from: "Perseus"
I've actually heard that a player with an Oracle can scan someone while they're in (d), but I don't have one and can't confirm it.

Jason, Apr 15 13:57 (EDT):
They were able to however this was not working as intended and we have changed it so you can no longer use your oracle while in diplomacy mode.
Blue Frog Gaming Support

xxxxx, Apr 15 11:51 (EDT):
since there is mixed information on the forum and no information about this on the wiki and so far you guys have been silent on the forum.....I need to know if a person that has a moon and an oracle but is in diplomacy mode can oracle people with it...please let me know.
Quote from: \"LHDR\"
Quote from: \"Sid82\"
-1 don\'t need a reason other than this is a stupid idea
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds."~Albert Einstein
doesn\'t work when idea IS stupid
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8493

Vastet

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 01:34:32 AM »
I don't see a problem. The expences of a moon will jump any noob's build points significantly. He won't be (n) for long. And since he can't launch attacks himself, using it successfully for anything more than ninja detection is tricky.

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 01:40:03 AM »
Quote from: "Vastet"
I don't see a problem. The expences of a moon will jump any noob's build points significantly. He won't be (n) for long. And since he can't launch attacks himself, using it successfully for anything more than ninja detection is tricky.

I don't know if you could if you even tried. Maybe if you built nothing but ships to get out of (n), had 2 friends crash their fleets over you, and then built the necessary buildings? You could probably do it, but why would you want to?
Zeus\' killed: 2
Moons given: 2

Retired player

Peak rank: #147
Rank after quitting: ~1300

Offline Master

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »
Quote from: "Sid82"

They were able to however this was not working as intended and we have changed it so you can no longer use your oracle while in diplomacy mode.
Blue Frog Gaming Support

since there is mixed information on the forum and no information about this on the wiki and so far you guys have been silent on the forum.....I need to know if a person that has a moon and an oracle but is in diplomacy mode can oracle people with it...please let me know.
I have an oracle in sfco and was in diplomacy mode for last week. I was able to scan everyone but v-mode and diplomacy mode players as of yesterday...
poeticmotion: You know what will happen if I oracle-lock you?

Absolutely nothing. I\'ll cuss a few times, mutter "holy crap, I\'m not even going to battlecalc that" and have nightmares about 10000 capitol ships descending upon my homeworld.

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 01:20:21 PM »
Quote from: "Master"
Quote from: "Sid82"

Blue Frog Gaming Support

I have an oracle in sfco and was in diplomacy mode for last week. I was able to scan everyone but v-mode and diplomacy mode players as of yesterday...

Let me get this straight.

Master is in diplomacy mode.
Master can scan everyone -- except those in vacation mode and/or those in diplomacy mode.

That sounds contrary to

Quote from: "Jason, Apr 15 13:57 (EDT):"
Blue Frog Gaming Support

Perhaps BFG should look at this again?

Offline Master

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 01:24:27 PM »
That is correct. I am no longer in diplomacy mode but while I was in there I made a point to check into that. I think it is kind of broken as people in diplomacy mode can colony block people using their oracles but while in diplomacy you can not be oracled so nobody can block your colonies or even block your colony blocks...
poeticmotion: You know what will happen if I oracle-lock you?

Absolutely nothing. I\'ll cuss a few times, mutter "holy crap, I\'m not even going to battlecalc that" and have nightmares about 10000 capitol ships descending upon my homeworld.

Offline Sid82

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »
well, BFG really should take another look at that...and if they never changed it in the first place then I agree with the other people talking about Jason not knowing what he is talking about
Quote from: \"Sid82\"
-1 don\'t need a reason other than this is a stupid idea
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds."~Albert Einstein
doesn\'t work when idea IS stupid
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8493