contact
February 24, 2020, 12:03:36 PM

Author Topic: longer then 24 hour mode change?  (Read 742 times)

Offline whiteboy 1975

• View Profile
longer then 24 hour mode change?
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:34:10 AM »
saw a player starting to leave d mode around 0:11:00 game time last night. now 25 and a half hours later it still shows that he is leaving d...how is this possible? thought it took 24 to switch out of d modeand into regular mode?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Rodrisco

• View Profile
Re: longer then 24 hour mode change?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:35:53 AM »
If you are toggling out of diplomacy mode, then cancel the exit, you will have to restart the timer to exit again. You could be perpetually exiting diplomacy mode if you so wished.

Offline samielb

• View Profile
    • http://www.twinwand.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:37:18 AM »
Most likely s/he toggled it twice for some reason that resets the timer so s.hr comes out 24 hours from that time.
samielb

Quote from: \"Bravicus\"
Attacking people is lame.

probing is cool.

Offline whiteboy 1975

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:40:41 AM »
could this consider a cheat? this person is always saying that everyone in my guild cheats and tries to ban us after we catch him gaurd and wipes out his fleet or one of his guildmates. and if it is i think BFG should remove the cancel button and make you wait the require time before you go back into d mode

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:16:33 AM »
Quote from: "whiteboy 1975"
could this consider a cheat? this person is always saying that everyone in my guild cheats and tries to ban us after we catch him gaurd and wipes out his fleet or one of his guildmates. and if it is i think BFG should remove the cancel button and make you wait the require time before you go back into d mode

No, it's definatly not cheating, and BFG is not going to remove the cancel button because someone keeps refreshing their (d) mode exit.
Zeus\' killed: 2
Moons given: 2

Retired player

Peak rank: #147
Rank after quitting: ~1300

Offline WereRabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:36:40 AM »
I don't see how this is cheating.  He can't attack or anything, so the only benefit for him is that you would be unable to know for sure when he will be fully out of (d).  I'd say it's pretty smart.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:53:03 AM by WereRabbit »

Offline Ptonjalken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:50:08 AM »
Quote from: "WereRabbit"
I don't see how this is cheating.  He can't attack or anything, so the only benifet for him is that you would be unable to know for sure when he will be fully out of (d).  I'd say it's pretty smart.

Indeed, keep them on their feet  :twisted:
Retired Forum Moderator
Haunting the forums.

Offline SGS 6

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 07:31:25 AM »
Interestingly, you can also do that going IN... in which case that few minutes when you cancel could be used to launch probes and attacks...
Uni 1: retired, formerly Silver Gate Squadron
Uni 2: Sheridan Starkiller, Leader of the Shadows (Shadows)
http://http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Shadows_(Shadows)

Offline origon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 08:25:13 AM »
you wouldn't have to cancel to launch the probes / attacks. You can probe and attack all you want when going into D mode. Once again, no benefit besides someone not knowing exactly when you switch to D from !

Offline Vanandapeus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54:26 AM »
Quote from: "origon"
You can probe and attack all you want when going into D mode.

No, you can't. You have to cancel going into D-mode to launch probes or attacks. I just tried it.
Seven sixteenths of an inch
"That\'s the distance you\'d have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot."
Thank you Maddox \":D\"

Offline origon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 11:15:16 AM »
be that as it may, you're still screwing yourself over by having to a) constantly toggle it b) be unable to probeslow without toggling it c) pretty much advertising yourself as a target as there are a lot of people who specifically launch at ! just to get em that last kick into D mode

Offline Vanandapeus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 11:32:07 AM »
Quote from: "origon"
be that as it may, you're still screwing yourself over by having to a) constantly toggle it b) be unable to probeslow without toggling it c) pretty much advertising yourself as a target as there are a lot of people who specifically launch at ! just to get em that last kick into D mode

a) If you were so inclined you could just open up another tab where you toggle it whenever you need an offensive action taken. It's less work than deleting your spam email, and you'd only HAVE to do it twice per day to keep from hitting D

b) with a) in mind, that's a negligible extra effort for the possible effect achieved.

c) That could just as well be EXACTLY the reason they are toggling. Leave a good chunk of resources laying around on your planet, lift off large parts of your fleet, wait for somebody to probe and presto, ninja.
Seven sixteenths of an inch
"That\'s the distance you\'d have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot."
Thank you Maddox \":D\"

birthmark-ant