contact
October 15, 2019, 02:17:38 PM

Author Topic: Losing players to the future??  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Catfish

• View Profile
Re: Losing players to the future??
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »
Because the big fish can't take fleets their size profitably. But someone ranked 10K below them? Cake.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
The [size=100]WIKI[/size][/b][/url][/u] is your friend.

Offline Big S

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Quote from: "m0nty"
instead of moaning at BFG to try to find ways to protect newbies from quitting the game. here's an idea??

why don't some people be more friendly and grow some morals?

instead of attacking that #15k ranked guy or 20k ranked guy and taking his tiny fleet or his nightly resources from him, preventing him from growing bigger and eventually making him become more frustrated and quit the game, or hammering those people around you into oblivion when they can't possibly defend against you or go anywhere because you've farmed & attacked everyone within his range.

why not be the better person with some kind of morals and leave them be and find bigger fish, go travelling, but leave the small guys alone?

it's ok saying BFG should do this and that to help newbies progress, but what about people actually helping them aswell by leaving them alone and having some morality for a change?
You won't find me disagreeing with in-game behavior. I made friends with a lot of the people I attacked because I would leave people alone for a while if I took their fleet. And if they messaged me, half the time I would end up giving them advice on how to play the game. So yeah, I agree people should be more civil, and that would help.

That said, I don't see the difference in rank as the real problem. I can attest that when you lose a fleet, be it to some guy who is 40 ranks above you or 40k, it just sucks. It doesn't feel better if it was a mistake you made or a natural disaster. The months you put in to building it is just gone. The system is all-or-nothing. The longer it took you to build up whatever you lost, the more likely you won't continue playing and try again. It's easy to point the finger at someone really high rank shouldn't be attacking someone of low rank. But the fact is, if the person was wiped out by someone who was just 1 notch above them, they are still pissed about losing everything.

So I do think the game needs some adjusting so there is an easier path back to the fleet you once had. I don't agree with laying this all at the feet of the high ranking. If that person is a dick, I'm in total agreement with you. No need for gloating or whatever juvenile behavior they might exhibit.
Quote from: \"Evan Woodard\"
I\'m pretty sure that\'s just D-baggery.

Offline johanng

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 01:36:15 AM »
funny thing is, i never really planned on being number one. The only time I reached that was when I was number 1 in resource spent. But I loved seeing my alliance number one in the rankings. I'd sacrifice my ships and  my rank, so alliance mates would get the kill and the debris. Almost all my group attacks were net losses for me. I even gave a few free moonshots to alliance mates.

So I guess I played for my alliance.

I still eventually left the game. But yeah, it will be the people you play with that will determine how long you last. So if you want to keep playing, join an alliance, make friends, and have fun. Going solo flight on this one will end your starfleet career really fast ;)
Member of:
Empire
ODB

Highest Overall Rank: 4
Highest DSP Rank: 4
Highest Resource Spent: 1

Retired. ahhhh.

Offline GoAT

• Skype - thacodfathr
    • Twitter - TheeCodfathr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 01:43:39 AM »
I only play Extreme, and I don't have everything unlocked yet, heck I dont even have the Zeus unlocked. I'm ranked 315, and I get some good hits, and that's what I look forward to, I could never unlock the Zeus or Heph, and that would be just fine with me, cuz there's nothing like landing a BIG hit. I dunno what it is, but after my fleet lands and I get that error page, I just can't wait to see how much damage I've dealt. As long as my fleet is increasing in size, and people keep making mistakes and leaving their fleets sit around, I'll keep playing this game.
>=D

Offline Big S

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 03:17:10 AM »
If you are really landing hits that big (and I'm not saying I doubt you), unlocking Zeus is a piece of cake, given the big influx of res from time to time. And being a big fleeter myself (when I was playing) I found use for a Zeus. It traveled everywhere my MAC went and I hid it (along with 400 Proms and 100+ Ares, and any Hades/Athenas that weren't currently in use) with harvest missions just hoping someone would try to oracle lock my fleet ;-). It was funny because I had people scanning me like crazy whenever my stealth colony would pop up somewhere and all they would ever know for sure is that I had a few hundred Hades/Athena, which they knew wasn't right for a MAC from someone at my rank. So they'd probe me like hourly hoping to see what was really there. Then I'd launch a 900 Hades attack somewhere and that would drive them even more nuts trying to probe me to see if they could catch a glimpse of the real fleet. And then when I moved with a colony mission, I'd still have people probing the empty MAC for a day or so after I had already landed somewhere else. It was a ton of fun. Thanks BFG for the stealth tech.

Also since you are building a Heph, you really need to get you some Zeus to sit on board so you don't ever have it naked. And ideally, you want them on it when you first deploy so you don't end up pinning the Heph down later when you try to add some.
Quote from: \"Evan Woodard\"
I\'m pretty sure that\'s just D-baggery.

Offline scamius

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 04:41:05 AM »
If you look on the Leader Board 3/4 of every page is (d)...

Offline GoAT

• Skype - thacodfathr
    • Twitter - TheeCodfathr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »
Quote from: "Big S"
Also since you are building a Heph, you really need to get you some Zeus to sit on board so you don't ever have it naked. And ideally, you want them on it when you first deploy so you don't end up pinning the Heph down later when you try to add some.

I decided to hold my dream of building a heph as a result of recent events, that you're aware of. So my plan is to finish teching the Zeus then build the Heph, since I already have the Heph teched.
>=D

birthmark-ant